Can my partner claim LCWRA - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can my partner claim LCWRA

Options
2»

Comments

• braca
    braca Community member Posts: 102 Pioneering
    Options
    Thank you Adrian_Scope there is financial incentive  Carer element added to our monthly payment. 
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Posts: 11,011 Scope online community team
    Options
    Hi @braca, sorry I wasn't clear, I meant continuing her WCA process in the hope of her being awarded LCWRA holds no financial incentive. 
    Her having carer element added will increase your overall award, yes. :)
    Community Manager
    Scope
  • braca
    Options
    @SarahUCE You seem to be the only one who understands my prediciment about claiming Carers element of UC Partner and I recieved payment into account £0-01 and recent payment included Carers element and that is ok by myself and partner as that is all we were asking for to include Carers element in UC payment as I am now State pension age and amount is taken into account when making Benefit payments, Have you any idea where this amount of £0-01 would have come from ? 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    braca said:
    @SarahUCE You seem to be the only one who understands my prediciment about claiming Carers element of UC Partner and I recieved payment into account £0-01 and recent payment included Carers element and that is ok by myself and partner as that is all we were asking for to include Carers element in UC payment as I am now State pension age and amount is taken into account when making Benefit payments, Have you any idea where this amount of £0-01 would have come from ? 

You ask this question in another thread here. https://forum.scope.org.uk/discussion/87485/uc-payment#latest
    I'm not clear what you mean by this...
    braca said:
     Partner and I recieved payment into account £0-01
    how much did you receive into your bank because to me that reads 1p but surely that's not right..

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • braca
    Options
    Yes amount from UC into our joint account was 1p.
    Thank you for advice and can I just add quality of advice given is more important than quantity. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,266 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for confirming that. It's not always possible to give "quality over quantity" especially when more information is needed. Had you wrote 1p it would have been easier to understand, rather than £0-01 which isn't usually how it's written.
    There are some people that spend a lot of their time freely advising others here and it wouldn't be right if we gave incorrect advice because of lack of information.
    It makes no sense to pay someone 1p and i have no idea why you received that. Whether there's any entitlement to UC will depend on your State Pension amount and whether you have any other income, savings/capital.
    If this was your monthly amount then check your statement to see what deductions you've had.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    This appears to be irrelevant but 1p is the nominal entitlement to UC while a claim is kept open pending a work capability assessment when there would be no entitlement without the LCWRA element included (although I wasn't aware they actually paid the 1p). Can't see how taht would relate to your situation though.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • SarahUCE
    SarahUCE Community member Posts: 32 Pioneering
    Options
    Hello @braca? Did you receive your usual UC payment today (including the carer element)? 

There are a few reasons they sometimes pay 1p to people. Most commonly it’s to do with the housing element; do you get rent in with your UC and if so, is it paid directly to the landlord or does it come to you first? 
  • braca
    Options
    @SarahUCE Yes UC payment included Carer element

Rent is paid directly to landlord by UC

your advice on UC is very much appreciated.
  • calcotti
    Options
    SarahUCE said: There are a few reasons they sometimes pay 1p to people. Most commonly it’s to do with the housing element; 
    Are you able to explain how that comes about?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • SarahUCE
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi @braca
    The 1p is definitely nothing to worry about, especially as you've received your normal payment today too. 
    I'll try and explain why it happens in situations like yours: 
    As you reported your change in circumstances (adding your partner as a carer) very close to the end of your assessment period, your Case Manager (CM) will likely have adjusted the statement manually. 
    When this happens and rent is paid directly to the landlord instead of the claimant, the CM will authorise the rent to be paid manually as well, and in order to do so a payment has to be sent to you, which is why they sent you 1p. 
    It's nothing to worry about and they won't be asking for it back.
    I'm glad you managed to get the carer element sorted and that you're not financially better off and your wife will no longer be asked to go to meetings. :)
  • SarahUCE
    Options
    @calcotti I say 'most commonly' because it's the situation I see it most frequently in but of course (as you're aware) there are lots of other reasons it can occur such as actual entitlement being only 1p, nominal entitlement while waiting for WCA etc. 
    It started with housing when they started paying LA/HAs at the same time as claimants rather than in bulk. The reason it happens a lot with housing is because when rent is paid direct, if deductions mean the entitlement is equal to or less than housing element, the entire entitlement goes to landlord (usually in cases where a claimant works and earnings reduce a reward). When this happens they can't release the payment to the landlord without releasing a payment to the claimant so they send a nominal penny payment. 
    It can happen when they do manual recalculations when payment hasn't already been sent and rent is paid direct to the LA. 
    Seems like a silly system but I'm sure we all agree that there are many things with UC that need addressing!
    (None of the above message is relevant to your @braca, so please don't worry about it. I hope you got my previous response that was directed to you.)
  • calcotti
    Options
    Thanks, Sarah.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.