DLA mandatory consideration has increased award but yet to receive back payment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DLA mandatory consideration has increased award but yet to receive back payment

AimeeT
AimeeT Community member Posts: 36 Listener
I received the decision from my sons DLA MR on the 23rd, it stated that the higher rate of care component has been awarded from the 21st July until the period ends in 2025, however I’m yet to receive the extra money. 
Does anyone have any idea when this will be paid? 

I assumed as we were already claiming that it would be paid with his next payment, which we received today, however this is not the case. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 53,359 Disability Gamechanger
    Any money owed is usually received separately to your 4 weekly money.
    I’d advise you to ring them to ask because they are the only ones that can tell you for sure. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited December 2021
    Given that there have only been 4 working days since the 23rd it’s not been long since the decision.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • AimeeT
    Any money owed is usually received separately to your 4 weekly money.
    I’d advise you to ring them to ask because they are the only ones that can tell you for sure. 
    I will do when they are open again, I just assumed it would have been here as a lot of the time money arrives before the letter, thank you 
  • AimeeT
    calcotti said:
    Given that there have only been 4 working days since the 23rd it’s not been long since the decision.
    I get that, usually we’ve always received money before the letter and if a payment had been put through on that date it should have been here by now. I’ll give them a ring when they’re next open though, was just looking for any advice if people had experienced similar 
  • poppy123456
    calcotti said:

I had assumed that the decision letter was received on 23rd so would have expected any money owed to have already been received by then.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    If you claim any other benefits e.g. UC or Child Tax Credits then let them know as you will now be entitled to the severe child disability rate with it being the high rate care component. Ask them to backdate to the date of decision too and on UC you can also get the care component of around £163  even if you work.
  • AimeeT
    I spoke to them today, silly me thought it was saturday and I'd have to wait until they opened again (my brain is obviously fried), the payment wasn't sent to be processed by the case manager so they've emailed her to have that done. Thanks to everyone for their replies though 

• AimeeT
    bg844 said:
    If you claim any other benefits e.g. UC or Child Tax Credits then let them know as you will now be entitled to the severe child disability rate with it being the high rate care component. Ask them to backdate to the date of decision too and on UC you can also get the care component of around £163  even if you work.
    I already get the carer component of Universal Credit, and the component for a disabled child. Is the severely disabled child element different? Thank you for the info 
  • poppy123456
    edited December 2021
    AimeeT said:
    bg844 said:
    I already get the carer component of Universal Credit, and the component for a disabled child. Is the severely disabled child element different? Thank you for the info 

You would likely be receiving the lower disabled child element which is £128.89 per month. For the higher rate of £402.41 per month your child must be receiving high rate care DLA, which he now does. You should report the changes onto your journal. Details here. https://www.disabilityrightsuk.org/universal-credit-child-amount

• AimeeT
    Thank you so much for the information, I had no idea. I’ve sent a message to the work coach on the journal 😊 thanks all 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.