Advice /Rules on esa income based and doing free courses — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice /Rules on esa income based and doing free courses

Options
Tammyjane33
Tammyjane33 Community member Posts: 765 Pioneering
I was wondering if anyone knows the up to date rules on being on Esa income based benefit in 2022 and studying. There are free courses available online that I came across but as they are only 3 month courses I didnt know if people are able to do these without it effecting their esa claim or not as its only a 12 week course, I've explained to my friend that she may have to let the esa /dwp know about this but she believes you don't have to inform them so I'm confused, so was I right in telling her she should let them know?

Thankyou for any advice or facts /of the rules and this would be very much appreciated.
I want to learn more about the rights disabled people have when claiming benefits and studying so if anyone could point me in the right direction with any answers that would also be very gratefully appreciated. (😁I really hope I'm correct as I hate being wrong😂😂😂this is a joke by the way) humour helps me get through the day. 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Tammyjane33 I'm sorry no one has been able to respond to your query.

Have you found out anymore about it since you posted?

My educated guess would be that you don't need to inform them since the course is only 12 weeks. I found this information on part-time study and ESA from Turn2Us:

"Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)

Contributory ESA

If you are a part-time student who is not able to work due to illness or disability, you may be entitled to contributory/ New Style Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) if you have previously worked and paid national insurance contributions.

Income-related ESA

If you are already receiving income-related Employment and Support Allowance, you might be able to carry on getting it as a part-time student if you are studying 16 hours or less per week.

If you receive student support in the form of a grant or a loan, this will probably reduce the amount of income-related ESA you can get.

It is no longer possible to make new claims for income-related Employment and Support Allowance."

Hopefully that is more helpful than confusing, but do let me know if you feel I can help further.

Alex

Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.