Stupid question about DLA — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Stupid question about DLA

Options
woozle
woozle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
When I first applied for my daughter 2 years ago I didn’t understand that it wasn’t about diagnosis and conditions but the impact of these and her care needs.
The explanation is long but put simply; As a result I didn’t fill in mobility at all because although my daughter struggles with it she had no formal diagnosis that I understood as being relevant. 

We’re now looking at her renewal and I’m wondering how to explain this or if I need to or if it’s relevant? I’m worried they’ll compare it to her last claim and be like “uhhhh well you didn’t say she had these issues before so no!”
Since her initial claim we have had a few different diagnoses and I’ve got a much better understanding of what is caused by her conditions and what is just her being clumsy or a typical teenager.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,283 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    A renewal is classed as new claim and you should explain everything about her conditions and they way she's affected. The previous claim makes no difference.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woozle
    woozle Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    So they won't get annoyed or cause trouble because I didn't mention the mobility things before?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,283 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As advised here
    The previous claim makes no difference.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Welcome to the community! I hope that's put your mind at ease a bit @woozle :) Best of luck with the renewal, and please do let us know if you have any further queries. I'm glad that you're feeling more confident about it this time around!
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.