From esa to state pension — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

From esa to state pension

Options
kate12345
kate12345 Community member Posts: 18 Listener
Hi 
I’ve receive tax credits  partner on c/b esa I work 14 hours a week we have a 16 year old son still at school partner also recieves small private pension 
Partner turns 66 next month and state pension will start can you tell how this will effect our monies please.
I’ve tried the 2 to us website and entitled to but can’t seem to get anywhere
many thanks 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,621 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    ESA will stop.
    State Pension will start.
    Tax Credits will continue (presumably Child tax Credits only). The amount you receive next year may change because your husband will (presumably) be receiving more money as SP than he does on c-ESA.

To use the entitledto website you would put in your existing details and see if the benefit amounts it produces match what you currently get.
    You would then need to adjust your partner's birth date to pretend that he is already 66. That would allow you to enter State Pension information and remove the ESA to produce a new set of results.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kate12345
    Options
    Hi thank you for such a quick reply
    ive been told I would need to claim universal credit 
  • calcotti
    edited January 2022
    Options
    kate12345 said: ive been told I would need to claim universal credit 
    Who by? I don't think that's correct for Tax Credits because Tax Credits are not defined as either working age or pension age benefits and could always include mixed age couples. This is different to most DWP benefits and Housing benefits which are either working age or pension age benefits.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • kate12345
    Options
    Thank you just a friend said she
     Thought I had to claim universal credit 
    also would you know anything about the mixed age rule there is 15 years between myself and my partner 
  • calcotti
    Options
    kate12345 said:
    Thank you just a friend said she
     Thought I had to claim universal credit 
    also would you know anything about the mixed age rule there is 15 years between myself and my partner 
    Please do not rely on what your friend has told you.
    As I understand it the mixed age couple rules do not affect you because you are not claiming income based DWP benefits or Housing Benefit. As per my previous reply my understanding is that changes to benefits for mixed age couple do not affect Tax Credits.

As part of the process of phasing out Tax Credits you will at some point in the next few years you will be told that your Tac credits will end and you will be invited to apply for UC. However given the age of your child it is possible your tax Credits will have ended anyway before this happens.
  • kate12345
    Options
    Thank you for all the information 
    truly grateful 
    happy new and best wishes 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.