Help pregnant and on long term sick! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Help pregnant and on long term sick!

Matilda1234
Matilda1234 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
edited February 2022 in Work and employment
Could someone please explain to me what happens now.. I have been off sick since September last year as I have bpd. I’ve just found out I’m pregnant which I’m really pleased about but what happens to my sick pay? Currently getting full sick pay till next month then should go down to half sick pay then statutory. I don’t really feel well enough to return just yet so does that mean I won’t be entitled to maternity pay? And help much appreciated xx

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Matilda1234 thanks for posting your query, and many congratulations on your pregnancy :) I don't have an answer for you just yet, but I can look into it for you. In the meantime I'll mark your post as unanswered to make it easier to find for our members.

If you have any other questions please don't hesitate to ask.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Matilda1234 I haven't been able to find a specific answer to your query, but I have found this eligibility checker which might help.

ACAS also has detailed information on maternity leave and pay, which might be worth taking a look at. 

Does your employer have an HR department, and is there someone you could speak to about it? 
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

Congratulations on your pregnancy 

Being off sick shouldn't affect your rights to maternity pay however you need to meet the criteria of your company maternity pay policy 

I suggest you ask for a copy of their maternity policy as it's hard for anyone to advise without knowing 

You will be entitled to statutory maternity pay but some companies pay more than the statutory requirement 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Sorry my advice above wasn't correct 

Your maternity pay could be affected by reduced earnings while off sick 

Maternity pay is calculated on average earnings during the qualifying period which is usually week -22 and -15 of the pregnancy so if you are not on full pay during this time it will reduce your maternity pay 

As above you need to check your employer maternity policy for full information 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Hello @Matilda1234

Thank you for posting, and congratulations from me too on the pregnancy :) 

Have the previous replies been helpful for you?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Hi @Matilda1234

I realise I'm a bit late to the post, but also a big congratulations from me too with regards to your pregnancy! :)

I just wanted to check in to see how you're getting on and if you had made any progress with finding out more information about maternity pay/sick pay? Did you end up contacting your HR department?

I'm sorry that we couldn't answer your question directly, but I'm hoping that some of our members/staffs responses above, were helpful for you anyway :)

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.