What kind of computer device do you prefer using? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

What kind of computer device do you prefer using?

66Mustang
66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,012 Disability Gamechanger
I used to prefer a "proper" computer with a traditional operating system, as applications seemed to have more functionality and customisation and you could more easily adjust and modify how programs ran as needed.

However these days I'm really enjoying using my tablet. It's so simple. I especially like using my fingerprint instead of passwords. Also, I am quite clumsy and am always dropping my devices; I have had my laptop repaired 3 times in the last 2 years but my iPad seems to survive everything.

There are a few programs I still have to use the PCs for but the tablet seems to cover about 80% of my screen time now.

I still only use a smartphone as a last resort when I'm out. I'm not too keen on the small screen for typing. I never got the hang of "texting".

I don't have a smart watch as I like mechanical watches too much.

I guess if I had to rank my devices now it would be tablet > laptop > desktop > phone.

What about you?

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Member Posts: 2,411 Pioneering
    I use my tablet for 90% use, my phone rarely, if I'm out, but don't like using small screen. 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,649 Disability Gamechanger
    My desktop computer is my main one that i use probably 80% of the time. Then my phone, if i have my feet up or i'm out but the small screen makes it more difficult. I have an apple watch that i use for voice texting if my daughter messages me.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,095 Disability Gamechanger
    I've used my MacBook for 5 years now, wasn't cheap but a great laptop, never use my phone for anything but calls and text.
    I bought SM  new windows10 pro laptop for Xmas, and i'm really chuffed with it for less than £200 it does everything she needs.
    Be kind to newer members
  • mikehughescq
    mikehughescq Member Posts: 8,295 Disability Gamechanger
    I trained to build, maintain and repair desktop PCs. When I did it regularly I could build one inside 10 minutes. I hardly ever use our home one now and can now do 100% of what I need to do for home stuff on a tablet with both a keyboard and pencil type device. Could do the same for work stuff but they have moved us to laptops, which I hate/would have hated anyway as a non-upgradeable device but attaching to a large monitor, large print keyboard and separate mouse make it usable.

During the pandemic my smartphone has become a glorified radio alarm. 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,095 Disability Gamechanger
    I've used phone as a watch for years now, as I suspect do many people.
    Be kind to newer members
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 11,632 Disability Gamechanger
    My son has been building desktop computers since he was 17 or 18, so builds one to the specs I need. I became fairly good with software, & my daughter-in-law is good with phones (unlike me), so between us we can usually help each other.
    I've never subsequently had a laptop. The only downside of my desktop PC is that my cat likes to jump on my desktop table, & sit in front of the monitor, arching her back if I try to look around her. Thankfully this only happens if she thinks I'm not paying her enough attention, or she decides she needs feeding!
    I prefer my desktop, as I find it easier to use a keyboard rather than a fiddly smartphone, which is why I'm probably rubbish at texting.
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,721 Disability Gamechanger
    I prefer a laptop myself.  I like physical keys, a large wide screen and the fact that it can rest on my lap at any chosen angle without needing to be held.

Tried a few other people's tablets but never really understood the point.  I don't like touchscreens and they seem awkward to hold. 

I was a very slow convert to smartphone apps but now use them regularly for things like banking and utilities.  The ease of immediate access without waiting for a laptop to boot up, portability (one hand/pocket size) and the fingerprint security are fantastic imo.  I also pass time in the bathroom using my phone to read forums!  :D
  • Ross_Scope
    Ross_Scope Posts: 5,742

Scope community team

I wouldn't say I have a preference, because it will depend on what I'm doing as to what device is most suitable. For typing I always prefer having a physical keyboard so the laptop is much better, although voice typing on a tablet or phone has come a long way.

I like the comfort that using a tablet or phone brings, especially for doing things like watching YouTube or other media, but doing searches and shopping are usually much quicker on a laptop device.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • mikehughescq
    I’ve found that an iPad Pro with the Smart Keyboard works for me better than any laptop ever would. This of course is only if you are able to rely on touch which of course not everybody is. Apple Pencil also helps as it’s the only one of such products  which works as you hope it might. It’s a wonderful thing. Signing firms you’ve been emailed suddenly takes no longer than writing your signature and I’ve long used my tablet for all note taking in work meeting and when I’m on duty. 

I am intrigued by the idea that you can’t do everything on a tablet. That was absolutely true 5 years ago maybe but nowadays there is nothing you can do on a desktop that you can’t do on a tablet or indeed a smartphone. 
  • Ross_Scope

Scope community team

I am intrigued by the idea that you can’t do everything on a tablet. That was absolutely true 5 years ago maybe but nowadays there is nothing you can do on a desktop that you can’t do on a tablet or indeed a smartphone. 
    I think the gap is certainly narrowing, but if of course will depend on the task you want to perform on the tablet, video editing for example could require greater power that a tablet might not provide. I find as well that while doing certain things like note taking or document editing is much easier these days, you don't always have the same amount of features on a tablet version of an application and it is instead reduced to the essentials, which isn't always a bad thing to be honest.

Gaming used to present a massive disparity too but with the emergence of cloud gaming that has made it much more accessible on a phone or tablet. 

Pricing probably comes into it too for many people, for the price of a high end tablet you can get a decent laptop, which would represent better value in many cases. I say this as somebody who would prefer a tablet if carrying out daily tasks was able to be done quickly enough on them.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • rish
    rish Member Posts: 17 Connected
    I don't like using the laptop much, I much prefer using my desktop computer. 
  • alexis39
    alexis39 Member Posts: 64 Connected
    My iPhone I use for everything rarely use my laptop as my fingers don’t work very well 
  • mikehughescq
    I edit videos on my iPad Pro @Ross_Scope and have done so for about 5 years. Anything from 1 minute to an hour with ease. It is painless. It was something you could do with the original iPads but it’s now reached a level of sophistication that matches or exceeds desktop solutions. Tablet processors now comfortably match or exceed desktop computers so no problem there. A number of TV companies, especially in the regions, produce news and more entirely via Apple devices.

Gaming on tablets has largely killed gaming on the desktop. There is niche for high spec gaming machines but few people have that amount of money and most gamers are now on laptops, consoles or tablets. 

I’ve an Office 365 sub via work and I’m also a Microsoft Certified Professional. Whilst the tablet versions for iOS are cut down they’re certainly not for stuff like Surface tablets for example. In reality, the only thing I miss on my iPad Pro is templates. However, there are routine ways around that and I find I can produce client letters, presentations and detailed spreadsheets sat on the bed or on a train or whatever with zero loss of functionality compared to desktop versions. The only issue is that most users are poor at finding their way beyond typing in most Office apps so they probably don’t realise how much more they could do.

I think price is absolutely significant. Ultimately though you get what you pay for. My iPad Pro is 5 years old; still flies along at speed and I expect to have it for at least 2 more years depending on iOS updates. I see people with laggy laptops all the time. 

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,012 Disability Gamechanger
    For me it is often down to bugs or the fact that some programs I use are just old and the developers haven’t redesigned them for the mobile age. The stocks and shares provider my family uses is one example which is on quite an old platform. I was trying to do something on it using my tablet yesterday and it kept playing up, switched to the laptop and it worked fine.

Of course the same thing can happen the other way round, too - not working on the laptop or desktop but fine on the tablet. I guess I like having different devices as backups.

Before I got my current iPad I had just a basic one, not a Pro, and it did me for 4 years and was still running apps smoothly - I only replaced it because I’d physically damaged it. I can well believe a Pro would last so long.
  • Durhamjaide
    Durhamjaide Member Posts: 309 Courageous
  • Geoark
    Geoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,382 Disability Gamechanger
    Laptop, though 98% plus of the time it is used like a desktop, plugged into a hub and connected to everything else. My own laptop has been upgraded to windows 11 and so now have three screens and with 3 different 'desktops' I can move quickly between different tasks without cluttering up the current desktop. 

Between the benefit of upgrading a desktop to the portability of the laptop the portability aspect wins for me.

Smart phone, though this is usually reserved as, alarm clock, accessing a code when making an online billing, team whatsap, or whats up as I prefer to call it and making calls, probably in that order of usage.

Tablet, rarely used since working from home, but was mainly used for reading books, listening to music. I find it easier to rotate one of my screens and change the orientation when reading books or documents. Using bluetooth to listen to music on my own laptop while working on the company laptop helps to keep me sane at times.

Biggest bonus, at the end of the day take the usb plug out of my work laptop and into my own laptop and its all set up to go.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• mikehughescq
    Ever thought of moving to one large monitor @Geoark? My employer now defaults to a 49” monitor as the standard for all staff unless you need a reasonable adjustment.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 31 Connected
    I tend to stick to my phone and IPad for most things, but I do use my laptop for work and I do have a Fitbit, which I use everyday. 
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• Ross_Scope

Scope community team

Blimey @mikehughescq, that's huge, 49 inches?

• ladybugabloom
    ladybugabloom Member Posts: 1 Listener
    edited January 12
    It all depends. Since I work from home and if I have a complex task I work over the desktop and if not then a laptop :) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.