Anyone ever used a Seizure alarm? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Anyone ever used a Seizure alarm?

MrsMwa
MrsMwa Member Posts: 31 Connected
My son seems to have seizures during night sleep period. Luckily found him today as been sharing bed with him to help him sleep. Long term i work night shifts also with baby eldest who is 6 will be alone in his room at night paramedics (he is in hospital as we speak due to seizure) advised to look into seizure alarms they look expensive but his dla would more than cover one but my question is has anyone ever used one do they really work etc?

Thanks x
Tagged:

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 6,095 Disability Gamechanger
    I have read about people on Epilepsy forums who use them because they have seizures during the night. I've only had a couple during the night (although I have lots during waking hours) and both times I fell out of bed.
    Be kind to newer members
  • Ashvinney
    Ashvinney Member Posts: 46 Listener
    edited January 9
    I have a seizure  alarm under my bed that  goes off if have in seizure in the night plus one on my arm to if that helps I got mine though the social care partnership Aberdeenshire council .I had a  assessment .I  pay 300 pounds a year for them.               They work good 
  • MrsMwa
    @Ashvinney
    hello thank you very much! How did you get the alarms through the council? My eldest seems to be having prolonged grand mal (tonic clonic ) seizures during night or just before waking. Does he need an official epilepsy diagnosis for council to assess and would he need to have several in a short space of time to be eligible?He has birth HIE (brain injury) so always been high risk for seizures but has only recently started having them.
  • Ashvinney
    Ashvinney Member Posts: 46 Listener
    edited January 9
    No they we'll speak with u and the doctors he under and then send someone out to do   assessment at home
     I wood start there ,
      yes it was the council my care manager at time sorted though them,  not quite sure who she had spoken to , but I do know it was social care partnership that sorted ,  I hope that help , 

• MrsMwa
    @Ashvinney
    thank you very much I will look into this appreciate the advice
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 13,344 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi 

You can self refer for a care needs assessment through the gov website and a ot will come and do an assessment and recommend any aids required and in most cases they will be provided by social care 
  • MrsMwa
    @janer1967
    hello sorry for slow reply had my hands full. Thank you would they assist for a child? He is 6 i could only find information regarding adults?
    he has OT would they be best to also speak to?
    thanks
  • MrsMwa
    @woodbine
    thank you. My son seems to so far have seizures during sleep wake period but hard to tell as he freaked out when they tried to do an eeg 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 13,344 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi again 

If he already has ot then yes speak to them you could also speak to children's social  services or of course your gp 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.