Advice on Carers Allowance & Universal Credits Please - Page 3 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Advice on Carers Allowance & Universal Credits Please

Options
13»

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Did you go to ‘Report a Change’ and report your caring responsibilities through that? 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • lelboy123
    lelboy123 Community member Posts: 52 Connected
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I just updated via the 'Report a change' tab & then the 'Caring for someone' option. I gave the date I started caring for them & it all went through fine. Since then I heard nothing from them so I was waiting to see what happened today once our payment had come through. I didn't think I needed to update via the journal as I updated via their specific form.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,397 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When i said through the journal, i meant through "report a change" which you said you did. I'd advise you to put a message under the payment section and ask why the carers element hasn't been added to your claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • lelboy123
    Options
    Ok will do. Will let you know what comes of it. Hopefully they get back quickly.
  • lelboy123
    edited February 2022
    Options
    I phoned them in the end & they confirmed I will receive payment for the carers element as of next month. Apart from Carers Element & Attendance Allowance is there anything else I can claim for that will benefit my dad & me that I've missed along the way?
  • calcotti
    edited February 2022
    Options
    DAD: What other income does your dad have and does he receive any benefits other than State Pension and Attendance Allowance?

If his income (apart from Attendance Allowance) is less than than £177.10/week he may be entitled to Pension Credit. There is a Pension credit calculator here
    Pension Credit calculator - GOV.UK (www.gov.uk)

Depending on his income and capital he may be eligible for Council Tax Reduction from his local authority.

YOU: If you are getting UC with the carer element the only other benefit you might qualify for, if you don't claim it already, to increase your income is Council Tax Reduction from your local authority. As previously advised you could claim Carer's Allowance but that will not increase your total income because it will reduce your UC.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • lelboy123
    Options
    My dad has a private pension. Off the top of my head I don't know the amount. Other than that he gets state pension, Attendance Allowance & single persons allowance for council tax. 

I get (or will start getting by rights) the Carers Element through UC & already get a council tax reduction so by what you are saying I've covered every base?
  • calcotti
    Options
    lelboy123 said:
    ..by what you are saying I've covered every base?
    Looks like it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.