Hi there….any universal credit boffins out there!?? - Page 2 — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi there….any universal credit boffins out there!??

Options
2»

Comments

• CarrieB75
    CarrieB75 Community member Posts: 15 Listener
    Options
    Thanks very much Calcotti, we will do!….so to clarify, my husband is to go into his UC account, then ‘report a change’ in his journal to inform of his carer role 👍
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    If he has already told them he is a carer then he shouldn’t  need to report a change but he does need to ask why he has not been getting the carer element.

Did he first say he was caring for you when you initially claimed UC? Were you getting Daily Living PIP at the time and if so did you record it?

if it wasn’t when you initially claimed how did he first report that he was caring for you and did they know you were getting PIP!
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • CarrieB75
    Options
    Apologies Calcotti, only just seen your comment. I think what’s happened is, we’ve never officially reported my husband caring for me it in the journal (didn’t realise we should have) but the odd bit is, I’m pretty sure he’s ticks yes to the question ‘do you care for anyone’ whenever they send us update questions, we presumed he was classed as an un paid carer. It’s all so confusing!
    Anyway, he has officially made the ‘caring for someone’ change in his journal now, and told them I receive the daily living component of PIP, what will the DWPs next step be now usually? Thanks so much once again 🙏🏼😊
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,289 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    You should have the carers element added to your next statement. If they backdate it then they will need to recalculate your past statements to be able to work out how much exactly they owe you. It can often take a few weeks for them to do this.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Having reported the change that will get the carer element added to your next statement. If you think he has told them in the past about being a carer it’s I suspect work asking about getting it backdated. Worth going back through the journal to see if you can find anything that indicates he is a carer.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Having reported the change that will get the carer element not added to your next statement.

That has to be a typo yes? and you meant "added" rather than not added.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • calcotti
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Having reported the change that will get the carer element not added to your next statement.
    That has to be a typo yes? and you meant "added" rather than not added.
    Indeed, ***** autocorrect! Thanks, poppy. I’ve edited my post to correct it.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No worries. Auto correct can be annoying! 
  • CarrieB75
    Options
    Just wanted to pop back to thank Calcotti and Poppy for the help. 
    We have since been awarded the Carers element of UC. As I mentioned before, we had absolutely no idea we were entitled to this until I came on this site. So a huge thank you! 🙏🏼 🙏🏼
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Glad it's all sorted. There's far too many people not claiming the benefits they are entitled to.
  • calcotti
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Glad to have helped. Were you able to get it backdated at all?
  • CarrieB75
    Options
    We have just received one payment so far, not back dated, should I ask if its possible to back date (in my journal)? 

I’ve been receiving LWCRA and PIP payments for a few years now, since I got poorly in 2013.

(My claims only goes back to about 2017 though….as it took me a few years to realise we could have been getting help!) 🙄😊
  • calcotti
    Options
    It's up to you whether or not you want to ask. I think it unlikely that UC will backdate but they may if you ask.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.