Sdp back payment advice — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Sdp back payment advice

buddy85 Member Posts: 11 Listener
My sister has just had a letter from DWP asking if she wants to claim severe disability premium for ESA
Her current circumstances are
She has been in receipt of ESA income based in support group since 2014
Also in receipt of highest rate pip daily living also since 2014
In all this time she has never been informed about severe disability premium or indeed paid it
She is due to collect her state pension at the end of January 2022 when reaching pension age, so this letter has come completely out of the blue. She lives alone and claims housing benefit and no one claims severe disability premium on her behalf 

So question is would she be entitled to the severe disability premium from 2014? Which would mean a backpayment of approx 20k?
Would this affect her current claim for housing benefit?
And also would it affect in anyway her claim for state pension?
Also it's just a form asking if anyone else claims  severe disability premium for her, are there more forms to fill after this one?

Thanks everyone for all their hard work  and all the best for 2022


  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 864

    Scope community team

    edited January 14
    Hello @buddy85 welcome to the community and thanks for your query, to help our members find it and advise you I've marked it as unanswered. I'm afraid it's not my area of expertise! 

    Let us know if you're unsure about anything else, we'll be happy to help :) Wishing you all the best for 2022 as well.

    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,700 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 14
    no one claims severe disability premium on her behalf 

    That's not quite correct, no one can claim the SDP on anyone's behalf. Part of the criteria is that no one claims Carers Allowance or Carers element of Universal Credit for looking after her.
    If she's entitled to it then it will be backdated to the date she first qualified for it.
    Her housing benefit won't be affected in a bad way.
    It won't affect her State Pension.
    Once she reaches state pension age then the SDP is paid in with Pension Credit (if entitled)  which she'll need to claim.
  • buddy85
    buddy85 Member Posts: 11 Listener
    Thanks Poppy for the advice,  I stand corrected on the severe disability premium payment to someone else ,I did mean carers allowance. 
    Thanks again
  • calcotti
    calcotti Member Posts: 3,825 Disability Gamechanger
    poppy123456 said: Once she reaches state pension age then the SDP is paid in with Pension Credit (if entitled)  which she'll need to claim. 
    Really important that she checks entitlement to Pension Credit. The inclusion of the SDSP in the calculation may make her entitled to Pension Credit when she might otherwise not have been. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.