Sdp back payment advice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sdp back payment advice

Options
buddy85
buddy85 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
My sister has just had a letter from DWP asking if she wants to claim severe disability premium for ESA
Her current circumstances are
She has been in receipt of ESA income based in support group since 2014
Also in receipt of highest rate pip daily living also since 2014
In all this time she has never been informed about severe disability premium or indeed paid it
She is due to collect her state pension at the end of January 2022 when reaching pension age, so this letter has come completely out of the blue. She lives alone and claims housing benefit and no one claims severe disability premium on her behalf 

So question is would she be entitled to the severe disability premium from 2014? Which would mean a backpayment of approx 20k?
Would this affect her current claim for housing benefit?
And also would it affect in anyway her claim for state pension?
Also it's just a form asking if anyone else claims  severe disability premium for her, are there more forms to fill after this one?

Thanks everyone for all their hard work  and all the best for 2022

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hello @buddy85 welcome to the community and thanks for your query, to help our members find it and advise you I've marked it as unanswered. I'm afraid it's not my area of expertise! 

Let us know if you're unsure about anything else, we'll be happy to help :) Wishing you all the best for 2022 as well.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,025 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    no one claims severe disability premium on her behalf 

That's not quite correct, no one can claim the SDP on anyone's behalf. Part of the criteria is that no one claims Carers Allowance or Carers element of Universal Credit for looking after her.
    If she's entitled to it then it will be backdated to the date she first qualified for it.
    Her housing benefit won't be affected in a bad way.
    It won't affect her State Pension.
    Once she reaches state pension age then the SDP is paid in with Pension Credit (if entitled)  which she'll need to claim.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • buddy85
    buddy85 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
    Options
    Thanks Poppy for the advice,  I stand corrected on the severe disability premium payment to someone else ,I did mean carers allowance. 
    Thanks again
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    poppy123456 said: Once she reaches state pension age then the SDP is paid in with Pension Credit (if entitled)  which she'll need to claim. 
    Really important that she checks entitlement to Pension Credit. The inclusion of the SDSP in the calculation may make her entitled to Pension Credit when she might otherwise not have been. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.