Ibuprofen and stomach pain — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Ibuprofen and stomach pain

Options
Spursboy
Spursboy Community member Posts: 23 Connected
I had Ibuprofen some years ago now and I had to come off it because of stomach cramps.
Is there anything I can take to alleviate this problem as I wish to try Ibuprofen again but worried about the reaction?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Spursboy :) 

Have you spoken to your GP about the previous stomach pain you experienced when taking ibuprofen? They may be able to talk you through any different medicines you could take as an alternative. The NHS page on ibuprofen also suggests that doctors can prescribe other medications to help protect your stomach:
    If you need to take ibuprofen for more than 6 months, your doctor may prescribe a medicine to protect your stomach from any side effects.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,283 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We are not medical proffessionals so can't give you any medical advice regarding this. You should speak to your GP.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sillymoo007
    Sillymoo007 Community member Posts: 33 Connected
    Options
    GPs often prescribe Omeprazole alongside Ibrufen to help alleviate those tummy issues.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,658 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As above a GP is the best person to get advice on an issue like this, not i'm afraid an internet forum.
    Having said that I hope your GP can help.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Spursboy
    Options
    Sorry folks, I only needed a clue as to if there was anything and then I would contact my GP.

As it is I will ask my GP about Omeprazole thank you Sillymoo007.
  • Spursboy
    Options
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Spursboy

Thank you for your query - I just wondered if you had managed to speak to your GP about ibuprofen alternatives? Or booked in for an appointment with them? 

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • Spursboy
    Options
    Will be, will let you know GP's thoughts.

Roy.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Thanks @Spursboy :) yes, please keep us updated and I hope the appointment goes well for you.
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • happyfella
    happyfella Community member Posts: 489 Pioneering
    Options
    Have a chat with the GP or speak to your local Chemist. I have a great local chemist who is very helpful.
  • Spursboy
    Options
    Thanks @Spursboy :) yes, please keep us updated and I hope the appointment goes well for you.
    Spoken with GP and really I am back where I started, he does not recommend ibuprofen for me and he is at a loss as to what to suggest, except  I will have to live with the pain in my back and leg.

History to date:
    All started approx. 10 years previous with my back going into spasms, a chiropractor seemed to keep it under control for a few years but slowly it got worse and walking and standing became very painful plus numbness in both feet.12 Feb 2016 MRI Scan, copy attached.26 Feb 2016 Fluoroscopic guided nerve root block – RESULT NO CHANGE.19 Sept 2016 Visit to Pain Clinic result as below11 April 2017 Bilateral Lumber Facet Joint injections at L4/5 and 5S1 RESULT NO CHANGE14 August 2017 Private consultation with Mr D Chan Orthopaedic Surgeon, suggested  surgery as below19 Dec 2017 Spinal Surgery – Primary posterior lumber medial facetectomy.31 Jan 2018 Follow up to above – NO CHANGE to pain, therefore signed off, Mr Chan reckons there will be no further improvement and that I will just need to live with the problem via painkiller medication,1st Feb to date Pain killer medication tried so far Pregabalin, Gabapentin, Co-codamol 30mg/500mg, Capsaicin 0.075% cream, Tramadol, Nortriptyline 10mg non have helped a bit.9 July 2019 Further MRI Scan, never received copy of the result26 Sept 2019 Fluoroscopic guided nerve root block – Result no change.5 Nov 2019 Pain Clinic Follow up to injection, pain  across lower back due to wear and tear plus age continue with painkiller medication Co-codamol, doesn't really help.13 Nov 2019 Pain has got worse. Especially numbness in right foot it is so bad that driving is becoming difficult. 

Not sure where I go from here!!
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hi @Spursboy - I have been taking CBD (cannabidiol) for several years, & it helps reduce some of my pain. As we're all different, I can't say it would definitely help you, but as in yourself medications are either ineffective, or can't be considered, perhaps worth a try. As finding good CBD can be a bit of a minefield, I offer my own experience.

I use this, which contains CBDa which helps with pain: https://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/products/green-cbd-oil?variant=37927970963639  &, if you scroll down to the section, 'How to Use,' you will see how this ethical company recommends to start taking this. You place the drops under your tongue, then swallow a couple of minutes later. Any questions about CBD, please also let me know. The only caveat is that CBD is broken down by the same liver enzymes that break down over 95% of prescribed meds, so you should discuss this with your pharmacist/GP prior to taking this. If you do take such meds, then for safety, a 4 hour gap is recommended between taking these & CBD.

It can take between 2-8 weeks to find any benefit, so patience is needed. The company I use now has CBD transdermal patches, which can however be used safely as these are absorbed by the skin rather than the gut: https://www.simply-cbd.co.uk/collections/cbd-patches  Still wise to discuss these with your GP/pharmacist. I let everyone know including my dentist.

• Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have you asked your dr about pain management 
  • Spursboy
    Options
    Have you asked your dr about pain management 
    Yes been there, they have tried:

Fluoroscopic guided nerve root block – RESULT NO CHANGE. 
    Bilateral Lumber Facet Joint injections at L4/5 and 5S1 RESULT NO CHANGE
    2nd try Fluoroscopic guided nerve root block – Result no change.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Sorry that your going through this hope your dr xan get something sorted for you 
  • Lisatho11987777
    Options
    Thought Links selling products weren't allowed on scope 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Oh dear here we go again! 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,616 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Spursboy have you seen a physio  with your back problems? You can self refer as well as gp referral.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Indeed. CBD can't be taken for medical purposes as it's not medically prescribed. Altho I always advocate that this should be discussed with your pharmacist/GP prior to taking, & I have never, ever promoted taking cannabis, I stand by the help (including links) that I've tried to give. I have every confidence that this will be resolved by the Scope team.

• poppy123456
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    Indeed. CBD can't be taken for medical purposes as it's not medically prescribed. Altho I always advocate that this should be discussed with your pharmacist/GP prior to taking, & I have never, ever promoted taking cannabis, I stand by the help (including links) that I've tried to give. I have every confidence that this will be resolved by the Scope team.

I seen your comment and you weren't giving medical advice, far from it. I also seen you advise the OP that they should speak to their GP/pharmacist before doing anything else. I see nothing wrong here.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.