If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Medical Evidence

Options
AliceDawn
AliceDawn Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited January 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I would like to obtain evidence from my GP to write about my conditions and how it affects me, but not sure how to go about it.

I don't see the GP often as I'm no longer on medication for my mental health (bad side effects) and I don't currently need to produce fit notes for Universal Credit (in LCW group, not gainfully self employed). So they don't have much to write about me from recent years. I have just signed up to further counselling.

Do I just book an appointment with my GP to update them on how I am doing and what I struggle with then ask for a report? Which seems like they will just be writing what I say. Sorry if sounds like a silly question, I'm not great at communicating on the telephone or face to face (I am autistic) so I'm not sure how to best approach asking for a report.

For reference this would be towards my PIP claim and also, because my health is deteriorating, I want to be reassessed for the LCWRA group in UC.

Thanks

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Championing
    Options
    There is no point in doing this. Your GP does not see you going about your daily life and therefore cannot write anything meaningful about the difficulties you have. As you say, the most they could do is repeat what you told them and that has no value as evidence.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Championing
    Options
    Hello @AliceDawn and welcome to the community. I've moved your query into our PIP category as you've mentioned it's for your PIP claim, that way it'll be easier for our members to find it.

The best approach to take is to focus on how your condition impacts on your ability to carry out the descriptors, rather than a medical diagnosis. Think about some detailed examples for each one and write them down, they'll be what you include on your form.

Scope has information on that you can read, but if you do have any questions on this, please do let us know :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • AliceDawn
    Options
    calcotti said:
    There is no point in doing this. Your GP does not see you going about your daily life and therefore cannot write anything meaningful about the difficulties you have. As you say, the most they could do is repeat what you told them and that has no value as evidence.
    Thank you, that is all very true. I heard a lot of people get turned down for PIP and/or the LCWRA of UC for not having enough evidence. So will see how it goes
  • AliceDawn
    Options
    Thank you, that is all very true. I heard a lot of people get turned down for PIP and/or the LCWRA of UC for not having enough evidence. So will see how it goes
    No, that is not true. Most people get PIP awards first go and just over 50% of them have zero medical evidence because they focus on detailed anecdotal evidence.
    That's encouraging. I'm in a Facebook group and it's post after post about not getting it first time with everyone commenting "need medical evidence" as to why but I guess people only post when they are unsuccessful and not a true representation of stats. Guess it's all giving me a headache and need to stop thinking about it so much. Thank you 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Empowering
    Options
    Hi @AliceDawn :) 

I hope @calcotti, @mikehughescq, and @Alex_Scope's advice has been useful for your query?

Just to add, please see a few resources below which might be helpful for your PIP claim: 
    I hope the above helps and if you have any further questions, then please just let us know.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.