My dad has Multiple Sclerosis and I need your help! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My dad has Multiple Sclerosis and I need your help!

Options
christina99
christina99 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi,

My name is Christina and I am a 22 year old student.

My dad was diagnosed with Primary Progressive Multiple Sclerosis when I was a few months old. Over the years, his illness has progressed and he is currently in a wheelchair full time. Because he is at a stage where he struggles to move his body, my family and I weren't able to give him the care that he needs which has been very tough.

Just before the pandemic, he was transferred to a care home. The social services explained that the care home would be temporary as it didn't meet his needs, but two years later, he is still at the same place as there aren't any vacancies elsewhere.

The reason why I am messaging you is because I need your help with advice. It has been very tough not being able to see my dad as I live in Wiltshire and he is all the way up in Norfolk. Ideally I would like to have some advice on any technology that could help my dad. I have looked at voice controlled TV's but they are either too big or will only switch on and off using voice activation. Ideally I would like to find a TV which can also switch channels using voice activation. He currently has an iPad to call me on Skype everyday, but again, he always needs help from a carer to set it up. I bought him a kindle a while back but he is also unable to use it now so it would be ideal if someone could advise me or him on audio books. 

Best wishes,

Christina  
Tagged:

Comments

• christina99
    christina99 Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    also, would anyone know of a voice activated lamp? (that doesn't need an Alexa,..)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I would suggest an alexa for audio books and also things like alarms reminders listening to music finding facts etc they ars fully voice controlled 

I have sky TV and that can be set up as voice activated to change channels 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @christina99

Welcome to the community, and thank you for introducing yourself. 

Sorry to hear about everything your family has been through, it must be really difficult being so far away from your dad.

Some TVs come with voice assistants built in, which let you do things like change channels, TV settings and other bits. I have a Samsung smart TV which has Google Assistant, Alexa or Bixby (the Samsung assistant) built in. I hope the recommendation above about Sky TV is useful for you too.

Smart speakers are one of the best ways to make more things in your home voice controlled, but of course you often need a compatible smart phone or tablet to use with them. For audiobooks, Alexa would be your best bet but you would need to buy an Audible subscription for your dad and he would need to manage the Alexa device from his phone or tablet. Once set up though, you can do most things using just your voice. 

Personally I'm not sure of any voice activated lamps, have you done a search on Amazon for such a thing? You mention not needing Alexa, but one suggestion I would have is getting a smart speaker along with a smart plug, the lamp could then plug into the smart plug and be voice controlled.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,016 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @christina99 I have a link you might find useful, I've seen the voice control lamps on amazon but shop around, I'm guessing there's lots out there at different retailers. If your dad has a smart tv there is a voice control action built in most of them, have a Google of the make and see. There are a lot of devices out there.  Plus I know you don't want alexa but it's good to turn lights off and on and other things. 

https://www.philips-hue.com/en-gb/explore-hue/works-with/voice-control

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.