Can I work and be in LCWRA group? Can I ask to be assessed, or do I need to wait for reassessment? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can I work and be in LCWRA group? Can I ask to be assessed, or do I need to wait for reassessment?

Options
AliceDawn
AliceDawn Community member Posts: 8 Listener
edited January 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, due to my health getting worse I would like to be reassessed and see if I can be put in the LCWRA group (currently in LCW group).

I am self-employed, earning about £100 a month (more in November/December as I sell online so that's the Christmas rush). 

It has been good for me to concentrate on running my own business for many reasons but don't have the capability to make it a full time job. In fact it took me 3 weeks pretty much in bed to recover from the Christmas season and I worked less than many full time people at that time. I cannot keep that up year round so what I get the rest of the year is pretty much what it will be for me.

That was just a little background info but I would like to know if I can still work and be in the LCWRA group, as in, will I have to give it up if I get awarded that?

UC keep putting pressure on me to increase my earnings, even without a minimum income floor and I'm worried my lack of earnings will force them to make me look for more work one day.

2nd question is, can I asked to be reassessed or wait until I am due a reassessment? I have been on LCW for 2 years now.

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    AliceDawn said:...I would like to know if I can still work and be in the LCWRA group, 
    Yes you can.
    AliceDawn said:..can I asked to be reassessed or wait until I am due a reassessment? ..
    You can ask but will need some evidence that the impact your health has on you has changed since you were last assessed.

Before doing anything you need to be clear why you think you should be treated as having LCWRA. Which descriptor do you think you satisfy
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/3904-limited-capability-for-work-related-activity

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • AliceDawn
    Options
    calcotti said:
    AliceDawn said:...I would like to know if I can still work and be in the LCWRA group, 
    Yes you can.
    AliceDawn said:..can I asked to be reassessed or wait until I am due a reassessment? ..
    You can ask but will need some evidence that the impact your health has on you has changed since you were last assessed.

Before doing anything you need to be clear why you think you should be treated as having LCWRA. Which descriptor do you think you satisfy
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/universal-credit-uc/uc-faq/3904-limited-capability-for-work-related-activity

Thank you for this information. Mine is more that it causes so much exhaustion that I can't function in other areas (such as get a good sleep, do housework, among others) and that leads me to be suicidal. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    AliceDawn said: ..mine is more that it causes so much exhaustion that I can't function in other areas (such as get a good sleep, do housework, among others) and that leads me to be suicidal. 
    You can only be found to have LCWRA if you satisfy one of the descriptors or would be at significant risk if not found to have a LCWRA.

Going back to original post
    AliceDawn said: ..UC keep putting pressure on me to increase my earnings, even without a minimum income floor and I'm worried my lack of earnings will force them to make me look for more work one day.
    As you have been found to have LCW you should have no work search requirements and they should not be pressuring you. What does your Claimant Commitment say? If you think you are being pressured to do more than you have agreed to in the Commitment you should say so.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • AliceDawn
    Options
    calcotti said:
    AliceDawn said: ..mine is more that it causes so much exhaustion that I can't function in other areas (such as get a good sleep, do housework, among others) and that leads me to be suicidal. 
    You can only be found to have LCWRA if you satisfy one of the descriptors or would be at significant risk if not found to have a LCWRA.

Going back to original post
    AliceDawn said: ..UC keep putting pressure on me to increase my earnings, even without a minimum income floor and I'm worried my lack of earnings will force them to make me look for more work one day.
    As you have been found to have LCW you should have no work search requirements and they should not be pressuring you. What does your Claimant Commitment say? If you think you are being pressured to do more than you have agreed to in the Commitment you should say so.
    Thank you. I keep getting questions about my expenses, why my earnings are low, what I am doing to increase sales, etc. They keep insisting on seeing me at the job centre rather than telephone appointments despite me saying how hard it is to come in.

Whilst I have managed to have a phone appointment for the last 2 years (after arguing every time which stresses me out) they definitely want me in at my next appointment as they want to see proof of my expenses and income over the last few months. Sometimes I can't leave home and can't predict when it's one of those days and the anxiety of trying to go in is making the pains I have worse.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,200 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Are you 100% sure you've had a work capability assessment in the past and been found to have LCW? If you have and this is correct they are wrong to expect any work search requirements from you. Have you spoke to your work coach about this?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • AliceDawn
    Options
    Are you 100% sure you've had a work capability assessment in the past and been found to have LCW? If you have and this is correct they are wrong to expect any work search requirements from you. Have you spoke to your work coach about this?
    Yes I had my assessment end of 2019 and got my letter telling me I was in that category. They started asking me to regular appointments but then switched from monthly to quarterly when I started my business in March 2020. Think I might have to chat to my work coach and see what they plan.
  • calcotti
    Options
    AliceDawn said: Think I might have to chat to my work coach and see what they plan.
    As per my previous reply
    calcotti said: What does your Claimant Commitment say? If you think you are being pressured to do more than you have agreed to in the Commitment you should say so.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.