Has anyone given up working to be a carer? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Has anyone given up working to be a carer?

Options
The user and all related content has been deleted.
Tagged:

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0 Connected
    Options
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @MrsMwa it's perfectly OK to ask any questions on here 

I'm not a carer but in order to care for your children you need to look after yourself 

Personally I don't know how you cope doing a 12 hour shift then taking on your caring 

I would start by talking to your employers as suggested and see if you could reduce your hours 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry posted b4 I had finished 

At least then you still have this job to fall back on if needed and could increase your hours if you 0artners job doesn't work 9ut 

Maybe also speak to social services to see if there is any care that could be offered 

Maybe a nursery or day centre 

Hope you work it out 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @MrsMwa I think it's fair to say that if you're looking for advice, information, emotional support or to talk with others who have had similar experiences, then this forum is certainly one of the places you can come to. We know that caring is very individual of course, but that doesn't mean you can't reach out for a bit of help, for someone to listen, or to talk things through. You haven't offended anyone, so please don't think that :)

I don't know whether you've been in touch with Scope's family services at all, Navigate offers emotional support for parents and carer's of disabled children, though currently the waiting list is 14 weeks due to high demand. The Scope Helpline might well be able to advise you as to your next steps, or recommend who would be best to contact, if you'd prefer to talk to someone over the phone. As mikehughescq has suggested, AdviceLocal is a good place to start to get to grips with the practical impact of any changes you'd like to make. 

I can appreciate how much of an impact weighing up this decision is having on you, and all the emotions that come with it. Have you spoken to your spouse about whether they could undertake any more care work, to help ease some of the pressure on you? You'll forgive me for making assumptions, but it sounds as though the scales are tipped towards you slightly more. Do you have any family nearby who could help balance things out at all- not necessarily with care, but to help you have time to rest?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 49,861 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @MrsMwa as Jane mentioned earlier, speak to your boss about reduced hours, flexi working etc. 12 hour shifts are a lot with everything else. Look to see if you can get financial support from government with less hours. Hopefully you can reach a decision soon that suits you and your family.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.