All choices of school been rejected — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

All choices of school been rejected

karenaj
karenaj Community member Posts: 1 Listener
edited January 2022 in Education
hi I’m new here. I’m currently at my wits end. All 3 of my sons choice of schools have turned him down. The first choice a secondary mainstream with DSP - which we named in his echp, the second choice a mld secondary and the third a feeder mainstream state they cannot meet his needs.It seems nobody wants my child- I haven’t stopped crying for 2 weeks since we were told. We are going to appeal the decision but I don’t think we’ll win as there’s no places. I wonder if anyone else has been in our position- I know deep down a standard mainstream wouldn’t be the right choice for him. I’m not sure what to do it’s making me ill with worry for him , he such a lovely boy 
Tagged:

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,979 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Hi @karenaj

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. I am just sorry to hear you and your son are having a really tough time. 

I cannot, unfortunately, provide any lived experience. I am hoping someone with more lived experience in this area can respond to you soon as I know that is what you are looking for the most. However, I do have professional knowledge about SEND education and I have experienced education as a student with autism. 

I just want to hug you both. You are both accepted by us! Is your local authority aware these schools are unable to enrol your son at this time? There is more information about choosing a school at IPSEA (https://www.ipsea.org.uk/choosing-a-schoolcollege-with-an-ehc-plan)

I hope you find this useful but most important of all I want you to know that we hear you and you don't have to go through this alone!  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • russelln
    russelln Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    It really does feel like a punch in the guts when you're rejected by multiple places.  Take a deep breath. 

If these rejections are not consultation replies, then don't panic - you can still ask LA to formally consult with all these schools.

If the rejections are all consultation responses then photocopy them, get a highlighter pen and a separate piece of paper and start work.  Highlight every reason why school think they can't meet need and transfer that reason to the new sheet.  Problem solve the reason eg if your son needs someone to take him out of class regularly and there is no one available on demand, request that the LA fund an extra person and find out how much that will cost.  When you have addressed each highlighted point, cross it out in black pen so it is obvious which points still remain unaddressed.  Try to get your local SEN support to help you problem solve.

There are only 3 legal reasons that most schools can reject an EHCP placement and the bar is quite high for them to prove the criteria is met.  Look on IPSEA for further details of these reasons.

Send your thinking to the LA so they can use it to put a case together for your child.  They have the power to place a child in most schools even where the school has said they can't meet need.  Sometimes a school has to point out all the difficulties in order to secure more funding.  Them saying 'no' at consultation stage is not always the end of the story.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.