Fibromyalgia and home help — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Fibromyalgia and home help

suzewooze
suzewooze Community member Posts: 3 Connected
Hi I'm new here and wondered if any of you have managed to get help with housework and self-care.
I'm waiting for a support worker at the moment, my doctor referred me.
I have struggled with keeping up with everything, even just teeth cleaning and getting myself a meal, it all piles up and up and only just about manage priorities or not a lot of the time.
I'm trapped under a to do list that is not achievable on my own.
Tagged:

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 46,828 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @suzewooze welcome to the forum. Sorry to read that you have been struggling, it's good now that you have a support worker,  are they helping you with care or house cleaning? I'm presuming with care. There are lots of cleaning company's that help but it will cost a fee. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Have you been referred for a care needs assessment you can self refer on gov website 

A ot from social services will do an assessment and recommend any aids or care needs and then send report to required services 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @suzewooze :) Welcome to the community! It's great to have you with us. 

My understanding is that support workers can often help with things like household chores, and making daily living a little more manageable. Is your doctor aware of all of the challenges you face in terms of self care and housework?

I understand that not everyone does, but do you have any friends, family members, or neighbours who could help you with any tasks that seem to be piling up? For example, could anyone help with doing your food shopping, helping you to clean the house, or cooking you a meal? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • suzewooze
    Hi @suzewooze :) Welcome to the community! It's great to have you with us. 

My understanding is that support workers can often help with things like household chores, and making daily living a little more manageable. Is your doctor aware of all of the challenges you face in terms of self care and housework?

I understand that not everyone does, but do you have any friends, family members, or neighbours who could help you with any tasks that seem to be piling up? For example, could anyone help with doing your food shopping, helping you to clean the house, or cooking you a meal? 
    Hi thanks for the reply
    There is no-one to help me, no friends or family are free or able to do so.

Yes the doctor is aware he referred me to the waiting list for the support worker.  They can access my needs both care of me and housework, also help me with goals and resilience, this has been going on years old every couple of months I end up having complete meltdown as I can't cope and don't look after myself so hopefully things can change for the better.
    I'm also on waiting list for one to one CBT for self harm.
  • Sarah444
    Sarah444 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
    You could consider requesting a mental health referral from Gp   and an IMCA from your social worker when you have been allocated one. There is also a fibromyalgia course available through Gp. There should be disability projects near by who can help you access services as do age uk.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Hi, how are you today? Welcome to the community
    have you tried getting referred for an Occupational Therapist? This could help by assessing what you need help with and what aids can be provided to you, In order to do those tasks independently. In the mean time, is there any possibility of a private cleaning service that you could use for a couple hours a week, to do some housework for you, to help take some of the pressure off? 

Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger

Hello @suzewooze

I hope this finds you well

Thank you for responding on this thread, I appreciate you being so honest about what you are struggling with, and I'm happy to see the numerous supportive responses you have received from other members.

It's a shame to hear that you don't have any support from friends or family, as you said in your response to Tori, but I hope that you will be able to access some support soon with daily tasks, because it really seems as though you're keen to get some help. I have sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk with some further information in addition to the contents of this post, so please feel free to give that a read and get back to us.

Thank you for telling us about your self-harm, it is a subject that many people find hard to talk about so I really appreciate it. I'm glad that your GP has referred you for some therapy, and I hope you can access that soon, but in the meantime please continue to contact your GP if you ever feel as though things are becoming harder to manage and you need more support.

If you ever feel as though you need immediate support, you can contact Samaritans on 116 123 or the Shout service by texting "Shout" to 85258. Additionally, you can utilise various resources that are available online, such as this one from Mind about coping techniques or the many information pages on the Self-injury Support website. Ross

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • suzewooze
    Thanks so much for listening and all the useful content 🙂
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    suzewooze said:
    Thanks so much for listening and all the useful content 🙂
    You are very welcome, I'm glad you find the community helpful.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Adie_Hawkeye
    Adie_Hawkeye Community member Posts: 140 Pioneering
    Hi Suzewooze
                          I am suffer from chronic pain have been for the past 12 years now fatigue that leaves you exhausted just getting out of bed but incredible pain if you don't get out of bed relentless if you ever need to chat feel free to message me
    All the best Adie X

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.