Kickstart program — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Kickstart program

Options
donnap79
donnap79 Community member Posts: 61 Connected
Hi my son has autism he’s been put on the kickstart program to a job which he loves but the issue is the job centre has given him the job he receives u/c and pip he lives in temporary supported living which is £320 a wk but now his working hours are 25 hrs a week which now makes him not entitled to u/c so he’s had to cut his hrs at work to 16 but now has a huge debt for 2 mths rent can please someone give me some advice my son doesn’t cope well with change he has adhd autism he’s been taken in the office where he lives today they’ve told him about his arrears today which is shocking as he thought it was £44 service charge a month now this is absolutely ridiculous 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,222 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Can I just ask is that rent amount of £320 per week correct? Or did you mean per month?
    Does his UC cover help with the rent or is this paid through housing benefit? Some supported housing is covered through this and not UC.
    UC is based on earnings received during your assessment period, if you don’t have the work allowance the earnings will reduce it by 55% so the more you earn the less UC you will receive.
    If his health condition limits his capability to work then he can report a Heath condition into his journal and send in fit notes from his GP. This will then start the work capability assessment process off. If he’s then found to have LCWRA he will receive an extra £343 per month and he’ll be entitled to the work allowance. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi, I would go back to the job centre and ask about employment support allowance. I would also ask about housing benefits.
    I hope this helps
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• donnap79
    Options
    Nope that’s correct a week it’s supported temporary living while he’s awaiting to be rehoused by the council the job centre r fully aware of his situation before the job x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Poppy_ said:
    Hi, I would go back to the job centre and ask about working tax credits, as he is disabled and now working 16 hours a week, he is eligible for working tax credits. I would also ask about housing benefits.
    I hope this helps

This is not correct. They are claiming Universal Credit which has now replaced the old tax credits. It is no longer possible to claim tax credits.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    donnap79 said:
    Nope that’s correct a week it’s supported temporary living while he’s awaiting to be rehoused by the council the job centre r fully aware of his situation before the job x

Which i'm assuming is covered by housing benefit and not UC? The more you earn the less UC you're entitled to. Have a read of this link which explains UC with a health condition. https://www.gov.uk/health-conditions-disability-universal-credit

• poppy123456
    Options
    Poppy_ said:
    Hi, I would go back to the job centre and ask about employment support allowance. I would also ask about housing benefits.
    I hope this helps

I see you edited your comment after i corrected you. They are claiming UC which means the only ESA that's possible to claim now is New style ESA which depends on the persons NI contirbutions in the previous 2 tax years. Claiming this and UC at the same time is no financial gain because the ESA is deducted from any UC entitlement.
    Housing benefit can only be claimed under very specific circumstances. UC has replaced all the old benefits such as housing benefit/Income Related ESA/JSA Income Support and tax credits.
  • donnap79
    Options
    He receives personal independent payment already he’s 18 and was on uc it’s now all stopped so they’ve told him he has to pay full rent n service charge it’s shocking that the kickstart would put some one with disabilities on a job that’s going to affect there ability to live and work my son was on the phone cryin he loves his job that’s the thing snd he’s already shortened his hrs because of it but I do not understand why that could or would happen my son said to his work coach I want a job but I live her the rent is this much will it affect it cause I’d made points in his phone to mention to her so he didn’t get flustered on the interview n was reassured no it’s fine now they want him to pay £80 a week on top to clear arrears 
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    Options
    @poppy123456 hi, yes I realised after I wrote it, so I changed it to employment support, on account of his autism and how he has had to change his hours. 
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• donnap79
    Options
    Yh he’s changed his hrs to 16 hrs now but it’s disgusting they’ve even allowed him to get in this mess he got the job threw job centre so surely when they set ppl up on these schemes they should warn them of pros n cons my sons working hrs was 25 a week which he didn’t think he had a choice but luckily speaking to his boss she was very understanding and once he explained what had happened she didn’t mind but he’s still now in arrears and it’s really not fair 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    His PIP doesn't automatically entitle him to limited capability for work. They are 2 completely different benefits with totally different criteria. For this he will need to report his health condition onto his journal and send in fit notes from his GP as advised above.
    It's correct that earnings received during your AP will reduce your UC if you don't have the work allowance, which he doesn't at the moment.
    Can you please answer this question...does his UC statement include help with his rent or is this covered through housing benefit?
  • donnap79
    Options
    Sorry housing benefit x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    When you claim UC you are classed as a job seeker until a decision on a work capability assessment says otherwise. Although he does claim PIP, people claim PIP and work.
  • donnap79
    Options
    Yh so is it basically all correct 😞😩😞
  • poppy123456
    Options
    donnap79 said:
    Sorry housing benefit x

Which means his UC will be £257.33 per month. If he works 16 hours at minimum wage for 18 year old which is £6.56 per/hour, which would be about £450 per month from earnings. With the reduction of 55% for earnings his UC will still only be a very small amount each month.. estimated about £7 per month.
    If his health condition limits his capability to work then have a look at the link i posted above.
  • donnap79
    Options
    Ok so would he still have to pay full rent if he was to do 16 hrs or would he be ok cause I think that’s his issue wanting to keep his job x
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Poppy_ said:
    @poppy123456 hi, yes I realised after I wrote it, so I changed it to employment support, on account of his autism and how he has had to change his hours. 

Yes but as they are only 18 it's very unlikely they would be able to claim New style ESA because of lack of NI contributions. Universal Credit is also for those who have a limited capability for work, like ESA.
  • donnap79
    Options
    Thank you I really appreciate your help 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    donnap79 said:
    Thank you I really appreciate your help 

It's all very complicated if you don't understand it. There's another link here, which may also help.
    If he can get a fit note from his GP this would be the first step and then report his health condition onto his journal under "report a change of circumstances"

• donnap79
    Options

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.