Right to buy and universal credit — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Right to buy and universal credit

Options
anonhelp
anonhelp Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited January 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Good evening 

I am looking to buy my council flat. I am currently in receipt of UC- housing element, standard allowance and for x2 children.
I also work approx 25 hours per week. 

It is my understanding I would no longer get help with the housing element once I have my small mortgage on my property (of course). 

However, does anyone know if I would still be entitled to the standard allowance (SA) and allowance for the children (CA) given my income is considered low. I am due some inheritance which would cover half of the flat price and the rest would be a small mortgage. 

I would have no savings once the property is purchased (for inheritance will hit my account and then go straight out to the council) and I would continue to earn approx £1200 from my job per month, plus my children’s maintenance, plus my child benefit. 

I have calculated without the housing element but including the SA and CA and minus the monthly work allowance (£335) I could still receive approx £443 UC if they don’t stop me claiming altogether? 

The only advice I can see online is help with mortgage and/or interest payments- I do not need either of these. The only other info I can see is help if not working, but I will remain working. Would I lose all entitlement to UC because I won property?

Any help would be appreciated.

Many Thanks 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    All elements of your UC award would remain except for the housing element (assuming your circumstances were unchanged apart from buying rather than renting).

However when you receive your inheritance I assume you will not be able to buy a house instantly so it will count as capital.  If this takes you over £16,000 you will no longer be entitled to UC. You will be able to make a new UC claim when the capital drops back below £16,000. Once you have bought a house the value of that house will be ignored if you are living in it.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,219 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    anonhelp said:

I have calculated without the housing element but including the SA and CA and minus the monthly work allowance (£335) I could still receive approx £443 UC if they don’t stop me claiming altogether? 

When you don't claim for help with any rent your work allowance is increased to £557 per month. https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/universal-credit-work-allowances/universal-credit-work-allowances

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thanks poppy - missed that bit.

So OP, your UC would be standard allowance plus child element = Maximum Amount.
    The earnings deduction would be (£1200 - £557) x 55% = £353.65. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • anonhelp
    anonhelp Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    You guys are amazing! Thanks so much. My capital would be just below the £16,000 so my claim won’t stop but will be reduced significantly for a couple of months I am guessing. 
    I just cannot find any legislation which states I would not lose my UC so I was worried about going through the RTB process and I can’t top up my salary anymore at the moment as I am also caring for my mother and son unpaid, so juggling many plates. This is reassuring. Thank you for your help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.