Hi, my name is hannah35! How can you claim a mobility car after being awarded PIP? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is hannah35! How can you claim a mobility car after being awarded PIP?

Options
hannah35
hannah35 Community member Posts: 4 Listener
Hi I’m after some advice please I’m my adult daughters career she’s just been awarded advanced PIP which I’m given to understand entitles her to a mobility car? She’s worked all her life but has been struck down by a serious illness . I’ve been told she maybe able to claim the cash equivalent instead of a mobility car ? I’m looking into this on her behalf but can’t find anything that points me in the direction to claim this for her. Any help really would be gratefully received. Thanks in advance .
Tagged:

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

If your daughter has been awarded pip enhanced mobility she will automatically be paid this every 4 weeks and backdated payment from when she applied 

You don't have to get a car if you do then the mobility element of her award goes to the motability car scheme if she doesn't want a car she will just be paid 

Dis she get an award for the daily living part or just mobility 
  • hannah35
    Options
    Thanks for your swift response I’ll check but as far as I know she’s been awarded enhanced pip I’m unsure of the breakdown but I’ll check to see if there’s any mention of mobility. So if I’m reading your reply correctly ( many thanks btw) the motobility element is already part of the pip , therefore she wouldn’t qualify for any additional motobility payments ? Sorry about this but I’m new to this and trying to get anything my daughter is entitled to . Many thanks . 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,056 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi
    PIP has 2 parts, daily living and mobility. Her decision letter will tell you exactly what she’s been awarded. There’s no extra money on top of this. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • hannah35
    Options
    Thanks both for your kind advice 👍
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi again 

Pip is split into 2 sections daily living and mobility 

You can be awarded either standard or enhanced rate for either one or both dependant on points awarded 

8 to 11 points us standard and 12 and over is enhanced 

If you are awarded enhanced mobility you can then qualify for the motability scheme to get a car and also for road tax exemption 

You dont have to get a car though and if not you get paid  the mobility payment 

If you do have a car through motability scheme then the mobility element is paid to the car scheme 

Check the award letter and it will detail what the award is and the payments that will be made 

You are getting a bit confused I think between the mobility payment and the motability scheme basically you sacrifice your payment in order to finance the car lease buf you don't have to you can just have the payment 

If you can let us know what she has been awarded from the letter I can tell you the payments or you can look them up on Web just type in pip rates of payment 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @hannah35

Thanks for reaching out to us. I always appreciate how much courage it must take to reach out. Have our wonderful community members been able to answer all of your questions? If you have any more questions, please don't hesitate to let us know! We are here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • hannah35
    Options
    Thanks everyone for ypu kind valuable support wish I’d found this group weeks ago once again many thanks 👍

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.