Is there any funding for long distance travel to relocate my mother? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Is there any funding for long distance travel to relocate my mother?

Options
Purpledragon
Purpledragon Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi I have a two part question is there any funding for long distance travel to relocate my elderly mother and secondly is there any accessible toilets on the route that you dont have to trapes through the whole services to get to them (most you have to go through the whole store for them to tempt you to buy stuff or they have great big stairs or long ramps.. my journey would be from London to Scotland  not sure whether to go M1 M6 route or A1 route  much depends on the advice I get here.. Thanks in advance

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Purpledragon and welcome to the community :) Thank you for your questions.

In terms of funding for long distance travel, I know that concessionary or free travel is generally more of an option when using public transport, as explained on citizens advice. I'm unsure whether there would be funding for travelling by car.

In terms of services, I'm afraid I don't have a working knowledge of accessible toilets on that route, but perhaps you could get in touch with Welcome Break, who run a number of services across the country. They may well be able to advise you further. The website also has a journey planner, which you may find useful.

In the meantime I'll mark your post as unanswered so that our members can find it easily.

Let us know if we can help further.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Purpledragon
    Purpledragon Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Hi Alex public transport not appropriate i was looking more of assisted travel and seeing if there was any grants or companies that do that. if i have to use my own mobility car regarding the toilets i have already contacted welcome break so far they have just pointed out that they have accessible toilets not if you have to walk through the whole site. i have emailed them again for more details and options. I thought the forum may have some more real world experience and advice 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Okay @Purpledragon I'll look into assisted travel and see what I can find, thanks for clarifying.

I can understand the difficulty in getting to the toilets themselves. As a wheelchair user I know that they can be very long walks! Hopefully they can come back to you with more options.

As I mentioned, I've marked this post as unanswered, so hopefully soon someone with more experience in long car journeys will be able to share their thoughts :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's a long way to relocate, have she moved now??

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.