PIP & LWRCA/ new UC rules... — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

PIP & LWRCA/ new UC rules...

Options
robertt
robertt Community member Posts: 120 Connected
Hello everyone.
Hope you all had a great Christmas and happy New Year.
My question is, do I have to look for work if am receiving PIP ? I was awarded LWRCA back in march 2020 ,at the same time I was also awarded PIP until Jan 2023 .The only reason why am asking is because new universal credit rules came into place yesterday. So I heard that people who are on jobseekers will only have 4 weeks to get a job they are looking for. After that period we ll be forced to get basically anything offered otherwise the benefits will stop. Because it's been almost 2 years since I got LWRCA I'm aware that they will call me for assessment any time soon. And frankly I don't know what will happen,if they choose to not extend it ,I will be left with no choice but to rush and find something within their 'new 4 weeks timeframe' which is going to be very difficult. 
Thank you for your help .

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    PIP is irrelevant.
    You currently have no job search requirements because you have LCWRA. 
    If, in the future, you are found fit for work then you would have to look for work. 
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • robertt
    Options
  • AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Community member Posts: 243 Pioneering
    Options
    robertt said:
    Hello everyone.
    Hope you all had a great Christmas and happy New Year.
    My question is, do I have to look for work if am receiving PIP ? I was awarded LWRCA back in march 2020 ,at the same time I was also awarded PIP until Jan 2023 .The only reason why am asking is because new universal credit rules came into place yesterday. So I heard that people who are on jobseekers will only have 4 weeks to get a job they are looking for. After that period we ll be forced to get basically anything offered otherwise the benefits will stop. Because it's been almost 2 years since I got LWRCA I'm aware that they will call me for assessment any time soon. And frankly I don't know what will happen,if they choose to not extend it ,I will be left with no choice but to rush and find something within their 'new 4 weeks timeframe' which is going to be very difficult. 
    Thank you for your help .

Please enjoy the moment and don’t worry to much about the future. 

If in the future, you are found 'fit to work'  you don’t have to accept their decision. 
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • robertt
    Options
    Thank you. I actually never appealed against them. Hence my future concerns. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think this is likely to result in many people having to apply for jobs they don't want but won't necessarily result in them getting jobs they don't want. Sensible employers will see that the applicant is applying because they have to and if the job requires much less than the applicant's skill set probably won't employ them because they know they'll probably leave if another opportunity presents itself.

The previous Tory rhetoric about creating a high skills society doesn't seem to figure in this.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.