Lower back pain — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lower back pain

Options
liamblue
liamblue Community member Posts: 2 Listener
Hi everyone, I have just joined the site as I have been having lower back pain for 3 or 4 years now.
I would like to share what my problems are, hopefully someone may have had the same and could put me on to the correct treatment.
I am 57 years of age, and was quite active until this problem. I still go walking, but cant overdo it, like walk up hills. 
At first my back used to hurt when I was bending or lifting, 
I was referred to a physio who gave me exercises to do, but these didn't help at all.
Then I started to get a different kind of pain whilst out walking, feeling like Sciatica down both sides.
Just before Covid started, I was referred to a surgeon, had MRI scans and X Rays, he thought the pain was coming from my sacroiliac joint so arranged for me to have steroid injections.
These didn't make much difference. He referred me to a pain clinic, where I have had injections in left and right side facet joints and denervation in my right lower back. I thought it pointless to have the left side done, as the right side still felt as bad. After having these injections, I could walk pain free for a few months, but still got the pain in my lower back when doing any physical work.
When I go for a walk now, I have to rub Ibuprofen Gel into my back, this helps a little. 
I am waiting for him now to refer me for more physio, as my symptoms now are a whole lot worse than before.
I am unable to do the simplest things now without getting chronic lower back pain. It is really affecting my work and my mental health.
When I am doing something that really hurts my back I can sit down for 10 minutes and the pain relieves but I will get pain when I get back up and start walking.
My back feels really stiff when I get out of my bed, this normally lasts for about 20 minutes.
I am quite lucky with work, as I can pass on most of the physical stuff, but not sure for how long.
I feel there is a lot more to tell you but not so good with this kind of stuff.
Thanks for reading.
Liam 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 50,447 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @liamblue welcome to the forum. There are lots of topics on here associated with back pain. Me included. But join in with all the topics, coffee lounge is a good place to check out under categories.
  • Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    Options
    Hiya,
    I have Scoliosis, so my experiences of back pain are different and I unfortunately don’t have too much advice around next steps etc., but I do want to say that I hear you. It can be exhausting to continually fight for the right care, especially throughout the pandemic & I’m sorry that you’re going through so much. Still, please know that you deserve better and it’s important to keep openly communicating with your medical team about all of this. Write emails, make phone calls, whatever feels most comfortable. In the meantime, there’s a whole community of people here to offer support, if you ever need to talk anything through.

Keep us updated, when you can!
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.
  • liamblue
    liamblue Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Thank you for your support, it really means a lot to me. I will be chasing them up this week, will let you know of any developments.
  • Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    edited January 2022
    Options
    It’s good to hear from you this morning, @liamblue
    You’re definitely not alone and I hope that you get some answers soon. We’ll be here every step of the way, though!
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.