Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Moving to a smaller property

Options
Oldhippie
Oldhippie Community member Posts: 9 Connected
I live in a large 2 bed bungalow in a beautiful village.  I love it here and would stay, but for bullying intimidating neighbours. I won't go into detail, but it's all about parking; they think they can take over half of my parking space just because I am elderly, disabled and don't have a car. Problem is, when I have visitors they have to park partially on a muddy grass area. I have asked politely many times for them to just park on their side of the white line, but they either ignore me or I get a torrent of verbal abuse. I have asked my housing association if they can move me, as this is really getting me down now, and it's affecting my mental health. It's been going on for 4-5 years now. I have been very ill lately with breast cancer. I don't have much energy, and I sleep most of the time. I really don't want the stress of moving, but if I don't get away from the annoying neighbours next door I know I will have a breakdown. Can anyone suggest a way I can move without any stress?  I am on homeswapper, but nothing suitable has come up on there for a few years. I just need to get away from here before I crumble. I should say, where neighbour parks blocks my back gate. I had emergency ambulance recently, and they couldn't get in my gate because of said car. Just hoping someone knows if there are any other avenues I can access to get away from here. Thank you in anticipation, and apologies for being a misery.  x

Comments

• newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    There will be loads of people wanting to get the extra space, (plus, I doubt if the neighbours would try that bullying with a belligerent couple!) but councils are peculiarly unwilling to push homeswap.  Therefore, think of what other ways you can advertise.  Postcards in newsagents, or supermarkets, or notices in local papers, or the local online organisations such as Nextdoor?  Can people put ads in the local housing office? Have you asked your councillors? 
    ps make sure you don't go from frying pan to fire, though... chat with all the neighbours of any proposed swapper. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I wonder if you could get a designated disabled parking area outside your bungalow?
    i don’t know much about this but perhaps someone like @calcotti or @woodbine would know?

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,358 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is the parking space actually yours? Even if it was a disabled parking bay, anyone with a blue badge can park there and no one can stop them. 
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,505 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm sorry to hear about this, and that it's been affecting your mental health @Oldhippie. Have you reported your neighbours for the verbal abuse they've given you at all? They shouldn't be speaking to you like that. 

I was also wondering whether you're receiving any support for your mental health at the moment? I appreciate that doesn't solve the parking problem, but it sounds as though your mental health has been impacted by this quite a lot, and talking things through with someone could really help.  
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,832 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @leecal not something I know much about, OP I can imagine it's not pleasant, but parking can cause problems even between neighbours who other wise get on, my only suggestion would be to not let it get you down, as you don't drive (neither do I) I would not get involved with where someone else parks, if you have visitors then I'm certain they might not be too bothered where they park.
    I suspect that moving would be far more stressful than the parking problem, have you spoken to your GP about your mental health?
    Sorry not to be much help.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Oldhippie
    Oldhippie Community member Posts: 9 Connected
    Options
    Thank you all for your comments.  If only it was as easy as parking somewhere else. This is a small village, and there is no other parking. Each house has one parking space. Housing association has recently marked out the two bays for myself and next door, but they insist on parking half on my bay. I would love to have more visitors, but can't invite anyone because of greedy parking by next door. It's not about not getting involved with where they park, it's to do with mutual respect. As it is I sometimes can't get out of my back gate because their car is in the way. I don't use the front access as they don't like people walking past their lounge window, so I try to keep them happy by using the back gate. I've done everything I can to keep them happy, but I'm out of good will now.  I'm hopeless at arguing, so that's not an option.  I just need them to understand that I need visitors too. As it is they have two cars, which is fine, even though the other one irritates other residents. I'm losing sleep over this now, and I understand it's a silly thing to get upset about, but at the weekend my daughter had to park partially in the mud because of their bad parking.  The only option I can see is to move. These people are not the sort of people an old lady wants to get on the wrong side of. I've already been verbally threatened by them, and don't feel safe here any more. I've never once reported them to the housing association, because that's not the sort of thing I do.

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,832 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As the houses are HA have you thought about talking to them about this problem?
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,505 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've never once reported them to the housing association, because that's not the sort of thing I do.
    I can understand this @Oldhippie, and it's your choice of course, but it does seem as though it could be worth reporting this, especially due to the verbal abuse. It's one thing for them to use the parking spaces in what might be an inconsiderate way, but the verbal abuse is a step up from this. 

You've mentioned not wanting to get on the wrong side of them, and that they've threatened you. Do you feel unsafe? If so, you should call the police. You can call 999 in the case of an emergency, or 101 for a non-emergency.
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • Sorsha
    Sorsha Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    Hi @Oldhippie which area are you in? I have a 2 bed bungalow in Middleton M24 but it is a small one. 
  • Sorsha
    Sorsha Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Options
    @Oldhippie I should also mention that if your neighbours rent their property their landlord is responsible for their antisocial behaviour and you need to complain to their landlord. If they own the property then you should complain to your council who are obliged to take action. There may be some backlash so you need to decide if you can weather that and if it would be worse than the issues you are having now.  Only you can answer that question but legally you don't have to put up with the abuse. Unless the parking space is exclusively yours as detailed in your tenancy agreement then unfortunately you cannot stop them parking in front of your home.  The verbal abuse however is a different matter. Because you are disabled the abuse could also be reported to the police as a hate crime. Just because you have challenges in your life doesn't mean you have to put up with this behaviour. One further piece of advice if you do intend to make a complaint,  keep a diary of when  what, who  and what was said in as much detail as possible and note down witnesses. Good luck.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.