Means tested for wet room — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Means tested for wet room

Options
fire1342
fire1342 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
Good afternoon all 

occupational therapy has put me in for a wet room and loo
 After my second spinal surgery 
and it’s made me worse than before I’m struggling with this. 

I’m wondering how much money are allowed to have a in your bank account to get the Grant in Wales 

im not sure who I can ask and I’m hoping it’s ok if I can get some information please

Thanks in Advance. 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hello @fire1342 I'm just looking for some guidance relating to your query, from this information on the Welsh Government website, it doesn't look as though personal savings are a factor in whether or not you're eligible for a physical adaptions grant.

I will keep looking and double check for you :) 

In the meantime don't hesitate to ask if you need any further help.

Alex  
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • fire1342
    Options
    Thank you very much Alex for your help. 
  • fire1342
    Options
    This has been done 

Step 2. An occupational therapist and a housing association officer will visit you. They will check your circumstances and see what changes you need.

Step 3. Your housing association will agree the best solution for you and your home based on checks.

I’m just checking that that’s not going to be a problem because they have asked me for 3 months bank statements. 

And making sure it going to be ok I get nervous with things like this  

I’m retired because I can’t no longer work with my condition. 

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Thanks for clarifying @fire1342 that's very helpful. I found the 'Housing Adaptions Service Standards' which includes a section on eligibility checks, it says the following:

"For Small Adaptations: - Means Test is not required. - Occupational Therapist assessment not required. - Trusted Assessor assessment may be required.

For Medium Adaptations: - Means Test may be required (only in relation to a Disabled Facilities Grant). - Occupational Therapist Assessment may be required. If not, a Trusted Assessor will be required.

For Large Adaptations: - Means Test may be required (only in relation to a Disabled Facilities Grant). - Occupational Therapist Assessment will be required. - Trusted Assessor assessment would not be appropriate in these cases."

I think it would depend on whether you're going for a physical adaptions grant, or a Disabled facilities grant. Perhaps you can enquire with your Occupational Therapist about means testing? Frustratingly, I can't seem to find anything on the amount you'd be allowed to have in personal accounts.

I hope you can find out soon, and that everything goes smoothly. This information from the Wales Centre for Public Policy might also be useful for you.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • fire1342
    Options
    Thank you 

i think it’s for the large Application

They asked did I own my house
    and I do. 
    They are going to make a new wet room and loo to help with my mobility. 
    I think I will try to call them and see what they say. 

Wish the guidelines was easier. 
    Thanks alex

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.