Can Social Services compel me to have a Personal Assistant? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Can Social Services compel me to have a Personal Assistant?

Options
matthewkevin84
matthewkevin84 Community member Posts: 27 Connected
edited February 2022 in Mental health and wellbeing
Can the Social Services compel me to have a Personal Assistant?
Tagged:

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @matthewkevin84 thanks for reaching out with your question. Could you explain for me, how you would feel about having a personal assistant?
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • matthewkevin84
    Options
    I have been having one for about a month now, when I asked the care firm to cease assisting me they told me they would have to seek approval to withdraw their services from the local social services, can the social services compel me to have a carer?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,706 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Once that's complete it will determine if there's any help available to you. If you need some hours of help/support per week then they will do a financial assessment on you and this will determine how much you'll need to pay towards your care/support.
    Or you can just employ a PA yourself and pay them from your own money.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • matthewkevin84
    Options
    I have already done an Occupational Therapy assessment, it was the Occupational Therapist who determined that I require a Personal Assistant which I resent, and which is why I am enquiring as to whether or not I  can be compelled to have the services of a Personal Assistant by the social services?

I have already done a financial assessment by the way and the assessment determined that I pay: £15.99 a week for this Personal Assistant.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.