If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Hi, I was hoping for some help about what we can claim.

Options
sheilaBright
sheilaBright Community member Posts: 5 Listener
My husband has been diagnosed with Fibrosis of the Lung and becomes very breathless with even the slightest incline or steps. He will be 65 in a couple of weeks so I don't think we can apply for a PIP. I think there must be some other help out there. What we need more than anything is to be able to access the Motorbility scheme in order to continue to see family and friends. However, it seems that eligibility is determined by what benefit you can claim. I am completely lost and would really appreciate some guidance. Many thanks Sheila 

Comments

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hello @sheilaBright I can completely appreciate how confusing this can be, so well done for reaching out here and joining the community. 

Attendance Allowance is a benefit you can claim if you are over state pension age, but unfortunately it doesn't entitle you to use the Motability scheme. You can check your eligibility for the scheme here. You might like to also read about charitable grants available.

A very useful tool you can use is the Benefits Calculator from Turn2Us, which I hope helps as well. 

To help our members find your post, I've just moved it over into our Benefits and financial support category. If I can help with anything further please do let me know, don't hesitate to ask :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,208 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    As your husband is under state pension age (66) then he will be able to start a claim for PIP. See link.
    Whether he will qualify will totally depend on how his conditions affect him in relation to the 12 PIP activities. For the mobility part "moving around" hills and steps/stairs are not considered. What counts is flat ground outside.
    This link may help you have some understanding https://pipinfo.net/
    You may also want to get some expert advice before starting the claim to check that he can score enough points for an award. Start here.  https://advicelocal.uk/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sheilaBright
    Options
    Thank you very much. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Aside from possibly claiming PIP are you claiming any other benefits and is or has your husband been employed in the last few years?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • sheilaBright
    Options
    We are not claiming anything at all and no he hasn't worked in the last year. He was only diagnosed in the summer and I think we are still in shock. His disease is progressive and he has between 3 and 5 years to live. His lung illness will get worse and worse until it kills him, but for now he can still walk on the flat so doesn't seem to qualify for anything. 
  • calcotti
    Options
    If his NI record is complete for tax years 2019-20 and 2020-21then he can apply for new style ESA. It is not means tested. He will need a Fit Note from his GP in order to claim. It can be backdated for up to three months (if the GP will backdate the Fit another). If he was getting SSP from his employer the ESA cannot be backdated to before the SSP ended.
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/new-style-employment-and-support-allowance

Depending on your joint circumstances you may be able to claim Universal Credit. A benefits calculator will help you check entitlement.
    https://www.gov.uk/benefits-calculators

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,208 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
     but for now he can still walk on the flat so doesn't seem to qualify for anything. 

That doesn't mean he's not entitled to PIP. There are 10 daily living activities ranging from dressing/undressing, washing/bathing, preparing a meal etc. With the mobility part "moving around" it will depend on how far he can walk and can he do that regularly, reliably and to a reasonable standard? Have you had a look at the link i posted above? Having some understanding of the descriptors always helps.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • sheilaBright
    Options
    Thank you very much for the help. 
  • calcotti
    edited February 2022
    Options
    This is also a useful summary of the descriptors and the reliably test for PIP.
    https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system
    If he experiences breathlessness from standing for too long or if he is ok in the morning but gets very breathless by the end of the day this is likely to affect his ability to do tasks to the required standard. Bear in mind too that hat that extra is about the difficulties he has on the majority of days.
  • sheilaBright
    Options
    Again, thank you for your help/support. We have felt very alone and lost since the devastating diagnosis. Covid has prevented us from being able to access information or support from the hospital, leaving us adrift in a sea of incomprehensible google searches and terrifying prognosis's.  
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,561 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm glad we're able to help out then @sheilaBright as time has gone on it's been pretty clear that the impact of the pandemic is really wide reaching. 

Do keep us updated with how you're getting on, and if any snags come up just shout :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,129 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would have hope that information/support from the hospital would at least have been available by telephone? It sounds like applying for PIP should be an option and if he were to get a daily living award you might depending on circumstances, be able to apply for carers allowance.

2024 Election won

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.