Driving Medical Assessment — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Driving Medical Assessment

Options
shibisaber
shibisaber Community member Posts: 15 Connected
I'm currently considering applying for my provisional license but I don't believe I'm allowed to drive due to my reaction to sensory stimuli due to being autistic. How do I go about getting a medical assessment for this?

Ta

Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,054 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You need to apply for your driving license and declare your medical condition and the assessment will be done by DVLA. Do be aware though that the backlogs are huge! so this could take quite some time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @shibisaber thanks very much for your question, being autistic in itself isn't a barrier to holding a driving license. Some autistic people will be competent drivers, while others will find the skill very difficult to master.

This information from the National Autistic Society might help you to make a decision as to what is right for you. I hope it's useful for you :)

If there's anything else I can help with, let me know.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Stirlingriverside1
    Stirlingriverside1 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
    Options
    Hi, I am trying to get my driving licence back. My licence was revoked due to illness which affected my peripheral vision. I have a driving assessment coming up. Has anyone attended one of these?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi I had an assessment years ago after having laser surgery affecting my peripheral vision

I just had to go to an approved optician the dvla sent them a form and report to complete 

I don't know if yours will be different 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.