Have you ever considered adopting a rescue dog? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Have you ever considered adopting a rescue dog?

Options
Ross_Alumni
Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger

We have been contacted by Five Mile Films, the makers of Channel 4’s heart-warming programme The Dog House, the new series of which is currently airing on Channel 4 on Thursdays at 8 pm. 

They're looking for people to get involved with the show, and say:

We've begun our search for individuals, friends, couples and families who could offer a rescue dog a loving home and share their story with us as part of our next series.  

We wondered if anybody might be interested in hearing more about adopting a dog? Throughout our series we’ve heard from many dog owners who feel their focus, work/life balance and general well-being has been greatly improved after adopting a rescue dog. Equally, for those relevant, it’s nice to have a canine companion working hard from home!  

The Dog House is set at the animal charity Wood Green in Cambridgeshire and has been described as both ‘charming’ and ‘compassionate’. The programme follows prospective owners as they are matched with a rescue dog, specially selected by the expert team of matchmakers at Wood Green. In previous series, we have found there are many reasons people might wish to bring a dog into their lives; loneliness, extra company for a child, encouragement of exercise, or living in the moment more! We tell the story of both humans and dogs, as they prepare to meet each other for the first time. 

We’re casting our net far and wide to find potential dog rescuers! We want to hear from anyone seriously considering rescuing a dog and is up for talking to us about why they need a dog in their lives.  

If you would like to chat this through in any more detail or have any other questions, you can get in touch at codieluscott@fivemilefilms.co.uk, and if you want to watch the show you can follow this link to do so.

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Nice idea @Ross_Scope. We had a rescue puppy some years ago and though it had some minor problems, didn’t like people drinking alcohol for example, it was a pleasant experience all told. 

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    At the very least that sounds like a positive method to stop somebody from drinking @leeCal, thanks for sharing :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • androgynous
    androgynous Community member Posts: 79 Pioneering
    Options
    It's one of my favourite tv programmes, I loved the Lurcher on this week. It was just crying out to be loved.

I've thought about a rescue dog many times and have looked on both the RSPCA and Wood Green websites. I would love a companion but the simple truth is I can't afford a dog, and I'm actually allergic to dogs and cats, more so.

The donation to Wood Green is more than I can afford and so is feeding a dog, ditto pet insurance, and if it's a pet with pre existing health conditions, they've got the same problem I have getting health insurance.

Aside from having to take a dog for a walk and having no one to look after a pet if I'm in hospital, I don't feel able to commit. It would do my mental health the world of good though, and I had a very large dog years ago so I know what commitment it takes.

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I would love a little dog have grown up with dogs and even bred a litter 

But now I don't feel I could care for one ad I couldn't take it out , I would have to rely on my son to take it out and clean up its poop etc and we all know what teenagers are like 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,712 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    We have adopted 5 dogs over the years, and would have another tomorrow but sadly we aren't allowed dogs or cats where we live now, might have to get a budgie
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• CoffeeFirst
    CoffeeFirst Scope Member Posts: 200 Pioneering
    Options
    Dogs are such good company. I don’t know how I lived before having my two boys. I initially got them because of my daughter and she loves them both to bits. They are rather spoilt but not in a bad way, cuddles and a few treats here and there! 

If anything ever happened to either I’d certainly consider a rescue.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,333 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can't commit to a dog either, when my back plays up I wouldn't be able to go for walks. Plus vet fees. I've grown up with dogs, I'm very good at training them. The police offer a service where you can have one of their puppy's for about 6 months, this enables them to get used to noises and things, then they take them back to train them. They pay all vet bills and food.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My grandad was a key figure in consistently adopting dogs! He was amazing. I love to hear about this. Though, unfortunately, I am not in a place to adopt dogs either. I hope someone is able to though  <3
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    This is a wonderful opportunity for an individual who is in a current position to adopt animals. I would love to adopt a dog one day, but I would struggle at the moment, due to living in a flat and not having a garden. I've just had a look on their website, and now I'm obsessed with a lot of the animals on there!
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    YES, YES & YES

I registered with Battersea and Wood Green, but think you need to keep registering.

Anyway, @Ross_Scope I would adopt in a heartbeat  B)
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Aww bless @JustPete :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • JustPete
    JustPete Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 303 Pioneering
    Options
    Aww bless @JustPete :)
    Lol :)
    I am a Scope Community Volunteer Adviser with knowledge of "life"!  Lived experience including employing personal assistants, being gay, sport & leisure inclusion & participation, mental health issues.  

What is the bravest thing you've ever said? asked the boy. 'Help,' said the horse.  'Asking for help isn't giving up,' said the horse. 'It's refusing to give up.”

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.