Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
If you are struggling to describe depression to someone, let them read this
Alone In A Packed Room
I sit here in a crowded room feeling empty and alone,
Family, friends, strangers chat and laugh while I hibernate in my own secluded world,
I see mouths moving, hands waving, but the sounds are silent,
They smile at me; I falsely smile back while dying inside.
The family gathering is a nightmare I want to end,
The room is big but in my mind it is small,
There is laughing, lots of dancing, and people having fun,
In my room there is no happiness, no dancing, it is a dark and numb place.
I watch each sudden movement and worry people will glide towards me,
My invisible door between my room and their room is firmly shut,
I plead, I prey, I shout in my head, keep away, stay back, don’t break down my door,
All I want is to be left alone, no smiles, no pleasantries and no conversation.
I look at my watch hoping time will transform from seconds to hours,
The big hand on my watch is lazy and moving at a snail’s pace,
I want time to fly so I can escape and be free,
Time is frozen, shivers run down my spine, the room is getting darker.
The room may be packed but it is empty to me,
The packed room represents my past life,
A life of fun, happiness and a future
My empty room represents my present and future life.
I wish people understood my world,
You don’t have to be in an empty room to feel alone.
- All Categories
- 12.8K Start here and say hello!
- 6.5K Coffee lounge
- 32 Games room
- 422 Cost of living
- 4.4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.9K Research and opportunities
- 209 Community updates
- 9.1K Talk about your situation
- 2.1K Children, parents, and families
- 1.5K Work and employment
- 784 Education
- 1.6K Housing and independent living
- 1.4K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 608 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 370 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 756 Transport and travel
- 30.3K Talk about money
- 4.2K Benefits and financial support
- 5.1K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 16.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 4.6K Universal Credit (UC)
- 6.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.8K Cerebral palsy
- 854 Chronic pain and pain management
- 156 Physical and neurological impairments
- 1.1K Autism and neurodiversity
- 1.2K Mental health and wellbeing
- 322 Sensory impairments
- 815 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions