Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

disability benefits - as a woman who will reach pension age only when I'm 67

Options
Lilegg
Lilegg Community member Posts: 60 Connected
edited February 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi all, I know my pension will be delayed and will be small. I want to know whether, providing I continue to meet the govterment criteria for my disabilities, I will continue to receive benefits or will these benefits ( ESA and PIP) give way to the currently very small pension? I need to plan for my future. I need to let you know that I can be slow to respond to questions on occasion. I have quite a lot to handle in my day today so will be back and forth for your responses. Grateful for you all.

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,915 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    When you reach state pension age your ESA will end because it's a working age benefit. PIP will continue for as long as you remain entitled to it.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hi @Lilegg :)

Thank you for your comment, I'm going to move it into our PIP/DLA/AA category in the hope that others will also share their experiences with you.

Has @poppy123456 been able to answer your query? I think that it's great that you're being proactive and considering these things now. It will only make the process smoother/easier when it comes around to receiving your pension etc.

If you have any further questions, then please just let us know.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As poppy says, your ESA will end because it is a working age benefit but PIP will continue. If your State Pension is small and you have no other income you will be able to claim Pension Credit to top up your income. In general State Pension and Pension Credit will (if all other circumstances are unchanged) pay you more than income based ESA (if that is what you are getting). Pension Credit is means tested and if you live with a partner entitlement will be based on your joint finances.

All above assuming there are no changes to the rules in the intervening period.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lilegg
    Options
    Dear Poppy123456  Libby_Scope and Calcotti, Thank you all very much. A feind saed me with her predictions of how poor I would become on reaching pension age and it seems that if things stay as they are(as Calcotti reminds me, they may not do of course) I will not be worse off. Yes, this is mos thelpful and of course I will keep checking in with other formal sources to corroborate and here, for your amazing forum help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Worth adding too that Housing Benefit (If you rent) and Council Tax Reduction will also be available to you at pension age.

You say your State Pension will be small but have you obtained a State Pension forecast?
    https://www.gov.uk/check-state-pension
    Remember that while receiving ESA you are getting NI credits that help build up your future pension entitlement.

Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Lilegg
    Options
    Thank you! I think I do need to get a forecast. I am pleased I won't lose my CTR. I don't currently rent but worth knowing about HB.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.