If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Disability premium on top of UC LCWRA and PIP

Options
northeastlady
northeastlady Community member Posts: 34 Connected
Hi all, first sorry as I wasn't sure which part of the forum to put this in as it covers a few things.

I am in a private rented house, 2 bedroom but I live alone. I get UC with the LCWRA element and I am also in receipt of PIP, standard daily living and higher mobility.

An advisor through my UC journal has advised me that my entitlement has been adjusted to take account of possible disability premiums and been submitted for approval and entitlement....

But, this now has me a little concerned as I'm not sure what this means for me. I've tried to read up on the different disability premiums but I can only seem to find information that says they are available to people on ESA, but I'm on UC with LCWRA... Does this mean all of my benefits could be reassessed or changed?

There is no timeline in the message and I feel as though I have just got sorted (pip was only recently confirmed) so it's a bit worrying. 

I have no idea what this means either bad or good x

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Championing
    edited February 2022
    Options
    There are no disability premiums on UC. You can’t be moved from UC to other benefits because UC has replaced them.

Were you by any chance claiming different benefits at the time you first claimed UC? If so, what? If you were getting an old type of benefit which included a Severe Disability Premium you could be eligible for a Severe Disability Premium Transitional Element in your UC calculation. Possibly the message refers to this.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • northeastlady
    Options
    Hi calcotti, thanks for the reply.

Nope none, I was working prior to all of this. I became unwell sue to a long term condition and contracting covid, this has lead to where I am now.

I first claimed UC, which included a housing element. As I got fitnotes  from my doctor I was moved to an assessment and awarded LCWRA. I then applied for PIP....

So am a bit confused x
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,258 Championing
    edited February 2022
    Options
    As you weren't claiming any benefits mentioned by calcotti then there will be no SDP transitional payment entitlement. I'm not sure why you've been told about a possible entitlement.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    Options
    No idea what the adviser meant then. If you want to quote exactly what the message says we can try and see if it any clearer.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • northeastlady
    Options
    Hi, this is the message I have in my journal.

Our record show you may be in receipt of benefits that could affect your entitlement including disability premiums. I have recalculated the housing element. The calculation has been sent for approval. Once approved, we can look at issuing any payments owed to you.
    Regards

That's all it says x
  • northeastlady
    Options
    Do you think it's just a standard and will come back as no change etc? Or a mistake?

Should I wait and see or drop a reply in now x
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Are you claiming New style ESA as well as UC? There's no disability premiums payable with this ESA but maybe they've confused the two. Or the message was sent to you by mistake.
    If it was me then i'd reply now and tell them that you weren't claiming any legacy benefits to qualify for the SDP transitional protection.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • northeastlady
    Options
    Thank you, I will do. Hopefully nothing is affected and it's just a human error x
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Championing
    Options
    Would it be a change to housing allowance as a result of getting pip ? @poppy123456
  • northeastlady
    Options
    I didn't think PIP affected UC or housing? X
  • poppy123456
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Would it be a change to housing allowance as a result of getting pip ? @poppy123456

Only if the person is single and under 35, if privately renting and they have a daily living PIP award. They would be entitled to 1 bed rate of LHA rather than shared rate.
  • northeastlady
    Options
    I'm mid 40s x
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Championing
    Options
    The message says this person is claiming a benefit which affects disability premiums  this person is on UC so that's the benefit that affects any disability premiums  so now the posters rent has now been recalculated on uc  correct me if I am reading it wrong and apologise in advance if I have but that's how I see it as I had a similar message when I started with universal credit 
  • calcotti
    Options
    The reference to disability premiums is definitely wrong because they do not exist in UC. 

OP do you live with anybody else in the house?
  • northeastlady
    Options
    Nope it's just me.

I'm mid 40s, live alone, private rented house, it is a 2 bedroomed but there is only me.

I worked before claiming UC and I get PIP now, standard daily and enhanced mobility.

It must be an error, I will update in here though with what happens x
  • calcotti
    Options
    It must be an error, ...
    Sounds like it.
  • northeastlady
    Options
    Hi all. They confirmed it was an error but during our messages they are now looking at the extra bedroom element as my friend stays over to help here n there x
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.