Chronic pain in lower back — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Chronic pain in lower back

Options
jo46
jo46 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
Hi there I’m new to this site so please bear with me x I have joined on here really cos don’t no what elese to do and was 🙏🏻 That I may get some advice or help with anybody who is experiencing same similar pain problems . I had herniated degenerated disc in my back from about me been 28 I’m now 46 it never really caused me massive problem up u till around 3 years ago I had mri scan which show back is still the same but the pain I now get on daily basis is something elese esp at night or when I’m laid in bed . Doc pain management have. Discussed certain medication such as pregablin gabapentin  which I don’t really want to take as I do t believe it nerve pain I go to Lydia which dosbt really help neurologist has recommended I try steriod injection in my spine . I really am very low in my mood my anxiety is sky high I really do t know what elese may help as most the time tgere just tell me it’s my brain different pathways to pain and other stress factors going  sorry for ye long post xx 

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @jo46 I really do feel for you I have had problems, a little like this since i was 30, i am now in my 60's.
    It sounds to me that you are on the process with the NHS. With past experience i know they do not like to intervene to much when you are young, unless it is a real problem health wise.
    I take it you have had physio ?
    If i was you i would try the steroid injections as they might help you.
    You will get there, with the NHS help, it just all takes time.
    Also our bodies are  wonderful things, they can a just to pain over a number of months.
    Hope this all makes sense.
  • JaneC_
    JaneC_ Community Volunteer Adviser Posts: 21 Connected
    Options
    Hi @jo46, welcome and thank you for posting. I’m sorry to hear you’re in such pain and feeling low and anxious. And pleased you’ve reached out on here. The community is a lovely group of people and always happy to help support one another.

Have you talked to your doctor about your mood and anxiety? 

I too have chronic pain and can connect with a lot of what you have described. my overall message would be one of hope.  Although may not feel like it now but from my experience and my friends in similar situations, the pain can be managed to give you a better quality of life. 

I found pain management techniques like pacing and gradually building up activity with rests before the pain gets out of control helped. Mindfulness and changing what and how I do things.  You might like to seek some advice about how you could use a pillow to support your back when sleeping and finding a more comfortable position.

It might be worth talking again to your GP about pain medication so you can gain some control of the pain. I’ve tried many and some help short term especially when pain flares.
    happy to talk more about this if it would help.

Pain can be quite distressing, stress and pain seem to feed off each other so managing both certainly helped me. 

I hope this helps and you get some relief soon. Please do ask if you have any other questions or want a chat on her. I’m sure others will help too.  

You might like to read to read posts by @ClaireSaul too she has a page giving help re chronic pain

best wishes 
    jane

• jo46
    jo46 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
    Options
    Hi hun aw thank you I really do appreciate any feed back I have already been to a therapist regarding my anxiety which was postive outcome I must admit I’m under but of stres as my husband in hosp not well waiting on a op so that’s not helping my back at all I didn’t find my pain management team that helpful if I’m honest I would like to chat more with you if you can help to advise on any pain relief you found worked as I struggle more on a night and I heard so many bad things bout different medication it scared me to try it but as I have bladder issues I do need to stop on the amatrytline and may need to up the dose but this medication cannot be taken with some of the others I believe I really feel like my doctors don’t really want to know which is very sad have you tried the steroid injection toon in the spine ? Many thanks jo xx 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.