How long is the wait for a WCA? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

How long is the wait for a WCA?

Options
Ennazus
Ennazus Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi, new here so be gentle, only posted once or twice before.

Trying to get an idea of how long people are currently waiting for a WCA, as I'm starting to worry.

Started new UC claim in August 2021 due to leaving an abusive relationship, so have had a lot to get my head round. But I suppied them with fit notes from the start of my claim, filled out and returned the UC50 form before the deadline of October 1st and been sending on additional supporting evidence to the email address I was given.

Have called for an update several times, told I'm in a queue awaiting an assessment date but they can't give any indication of when. I appreciate the pandemic has caused a backlog but its 4 months since the deadline and all the info I can find suggests they should be making a decision within 3 months of you first supplying a fit note, which was August 15th. 

I also get ESA, which was backdated to July and unless I get LCWRA it will stop after a year. When I said to the guy at the centre for health assessments I was worried I wouldn't be assessed before it stopped he laughed and said, oh it'll be done by then, but in the next breath said he could offer no timeframe on when I would get an assessment date!

Does anyone know if this is usual right now, or have any idea how long the wait for assessment dates is?

Or should I be worried that they're just overlooking my application? I don't know how or who I complain to.

All advice gratefully received 🙂

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    People are waiting many months for assessments and it is a long time since the three month period was achieved. 

Some have indeed had ESA stopped after 12 months because assessment has not yet been completed. As you are claiming UC as well and the ESA is deducted from the UC you will be no worse off if the ESA stops. If you are later found to have LCWRA the ESA will be reinstated and all arrears paid (with appropriate deductions then made from the UC calculations when they too are revised). 

Hopefully however you will have a decision before 12 months is up.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Ennazus said:
    all the info I can find suggests they should be making a decision within 3 months of you first supplying a fit note, which was August 15th. 

That's the waiting period before the LCWRA element can be paid from, it doesn't mean a decision should be made within that time. Even under normal times, it's rare a decision's been made within that time.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    poppy123456 said: That's the waiting period before the LCWRA element can be paid from, it doesn't mean a decision should be made within that time. Even under normal times, it's rare a decision's been made within that time.
    To be fair, if things are working properly the assessment and decision should all be completed within 3 months. It was possible for ESA but UC has made it almost impossible, even without a pandemic, because of delaying issue of the UC50 to day 29.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,777 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
     There's always backlogs and going by others on here even before the pandemic a lot of the time decision's were rarely made within the 3 month period.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Have a look at other posts on here as examples of how long people are waiting read one this morning about waiting 26 months 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.