Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

What is the savings cap with regards to the Support group ESA?

Options
Norbs66
Norbs66 Community member Posts: 49 Courageous
Hi All
I have a small pension from when I worked before my health deteriorated and I am registered disabled and in receipt of PIP at the enhanced rate and ESA I am in the support group. I am trying to decide what to do with regards to my pension and my question is what is the savings cap with regards to the Support group ESA? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    What type of ESA is it? Contribution based, income based, a mix of both or new style ESA?

Savings have no impact on contribution based or new style ESA. For income based ESA there is deduction of £1/week for every £250, or part thereof, over £6,000. If you have over £16,000 there is no income based entitlement.

Money still held in a pension fund is ignored.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,093 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Norbs66, can we assume that you are over 55 and able to access a pension? You say you are registered disabled that hasn't been the case for quite some time now.

2024 Election won

• Norbs66
    Options
    Sorry yes over 55 years. I am unable to work due to disability and in receipt of PIP and ESA support group.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,976 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    If you don't know which ESA you're claiming then you can ring DWP and ask them.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • woodbine
    Options
    Have you considered speaking to the govts. pension advisors at pension wise?
    I found them to be really helpful when I used them

2024 Election won

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    woodbine said:
    Out of interest, did you find that, as well as explaining your pension options, they understood the impact your pension decisions would have on your benefits?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbine
    edited February 2022
    Options
    calcotti said:
    woodbine said:
    Out of interest, did you find that, as well as explaining your pension options, they understood the impact your pension decisions would have on your benefits?
    Yes, the chap I saw (face2face pre covid) really knew his stuff and gave excellent advice on both pensions and the affect on benefits if I cashed them in.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/debt-and-money/pensions/get-ready-for-your-pension-wise-appointment/

2024 Election won

• Norbs66
    Options
    The pension company advised me of the effects it may have on my benefit if I did decide to cash in. I have just found my ESA is income related 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,976 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That means the advice from calcotti here applie..
    calcotti said:

For income based ESA there is deduction of £1/week for every £250, or part thereof, over £6,000. If you have over £16,000 there is no income based entitlement.

Money still held in a pension fund is ignored.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Norbs66
    Options
    Thank you everyone for clarifying this for me. I shall give it some thought as to what is my best way forward 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.