If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

I missed a call regarding my child's PIP claim. Should we have received notice of an assessment?

Options
Sadie
Sadie Community member Posts: 4 Listener
edited February 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
I just got a phone call with regard to the pip claim we made for my child who is now 16.  Left a message which I returned, and not heard back.  Am I right in thinking we should have had a letter about an assessment first?  Is it usual for the first point of contact to be a phone call.  Presume they want to make an appointment. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,499 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My understanding is that they should have given you at least 7 days' notice for an assessment @sadie. Citizens Advice's website says:
    You must have been given at least 7 days’ written notice of the assessment date (unless you agreed to a shorter notice period).

People do sometimes receive calls asking them a few questions out of the blue unfortunately, however. 

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 57,193 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A full assessment may not be needed. It's rare to have a paper based assessment but it's possible. Before they can do this they may have had a few questions to ask you which will mean they don't need to contact you regarding any assessment.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Sadie
    Options
    Thanks for the replies.  I haven't heard anything since we sent the claim form.  I presumed we would get a letter and go to an assessment centre, and was told even though I filled in the form  they will want to speak to my child so the call coming during school hours was a surprise.  There is a lot of medical evidence which accompanied the claim, but reading how people have been treated when they have also supplied similar is a concern.  I just want to make sure everything is done by the book.  
  • poppy123456
    Options
    The worst thing you can do while waiting for a decision is to go onto any internet forum and read all the bad stories. Naturally, if someone's had a decision they're happy with they have no questions to ask so we don't hear their story. This is why you will mostly only read the bad stories.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • Sadie
    Options
    Thanks Poppy, this is my first time on an Internet forum. The stories I have read over the years have been in the national press, and suggest that a lot of people get treated unfairly which is anxiety-inducing even though I had anticipated that in my child's case things will be straightforward. Sounds as if though they are just wanting to check some details before an assessment.  Child has a v rare complex condition.
  • poppy123456
    edited February 2022
    Options
    An assessment may not be needed, which could also have been the reason for the phone call. Paper based assessments are rare but definitely possible. Although, PIP isn't awarded based on the condition itself or a diagnosis.
    Regardless of where you read those bad stories, the majority of people claim PIP successfully, with no problems at all.
  • Sadie
    Options
    Good to hear.  Thank you for your reassurance. 

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.