Any advice on low laser therapy or acupuncture? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Any advice on low laser therapy or acupuncture?

Sooze16
Sooze16 Community member Posts: 1 Listener
After a botched tailor's bunion in 2019, I had a revision procedure recently. Now I have neuropathy in both feet especially in the toes. Pregabalin does not work; it only masks the symptoms - nor does a morphine patch. Any advice on low laser therapy or acupuncture?

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,488 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @sooze16 :) 

I made your post on the activity wall into a post in the main part of the community. I hope that's okay with you!

I don't have any personal experience of acupuncture or low level laser therapy, so I can't offer any advice in that sense unfortunately. I've marked your post as unanswered so that other members will be able to see you're still looking for people who've been through this.

Have you spoken to your GP to see whether they'd advise either of these treatments?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Join our call for an equal future.
  • Jo_2022
    Jo_2022 Community Volunteer Host Posts: 298 Pioneering

Good afternoon Sooze16! A warm welcome to you on the community. I'm not qualified or experienced to answer your question I'm afraid. It must be really difficult to go through this health condition. Personally I have tried acupuncture both on the NHS and privately, for a Chronic Pain condition. In my situation I found the acupuncture treatment beneficial. Perhaps your GP can advice you about treatment options?

Community Volunteer Host with a passion for human rights.

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sooze16 how have you been since you last posted? Did you manage to talk about this with your GP at all? 

I'm sorry not many members have had direct experience of low laser therapy, but I hope Jo's response was helpful about acupuncture :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sooze16 so sorry i missed your post.
    I have never had laser treatment but like @Jo_2022 mentioned i to have had several courses of acupuncture, it worked great for me albeit my problems have been in my legs and back.
    Did you go back to talk to the doctor about options for you.
  • Maneskin
    Maneskin Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    I am so sorry to hear about the struggle. I faced a similar issue post-surgery.
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 12,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Years ago I was lucky my gp surgery also had a doctor qualified and experienced in acupuncture at the time I was stuck in a wheelchair as long as the day. And it took a long time to get out off. But along with my stubbornness I had acupuncture one afternoon a week. And it was incredible for Pain. I hadn’t needed a pain killer at all in between the days. Which was amazing and healthy. And I got out of the wheelchair as I was pain free. 

Unfortunately I moved and not had acupuncture since and very quickly needed to turn to pain medication which although been on various types I am never pain free  
  • Maneskin
    Maneskin Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    edited January 17
    Maneskin said:
    I am so sorry to hear about the struggle. I faced a similar issue post-surgery.
      I tried low laser therapy, and it surprisingly helped ease the discomfort (the spa had this machine: [REMOVED BY MODERATOR - Breaks our advertisement rules]. Acupuncture, too, gave me relief. It is worth checking with your doctor, but I am sending good vibes your way!
  • Ada
    Ada Scope Member Posts: 12,609 Disability Gamechanger
    Ada said:
    Years ago I was lucky my gp surgery also had a doctor qualified and experienced in acupuncture at the time I was stuck in a wheelchair as long as the day. And it took a long time to get out off. But along with my stubbornness I had acupuncture one afternoon a week. And it was incredible for Pain. I hadn’t needed a pain killer at all in between the days. Which was amazing and healthy. And I got out of the wheelchair as I was pain free. 

Unfortunately I moved and not had acupuncture since and very quickly needed to turn to pain medication which although been on various types I am never pain free  
    But don’t take my experience to influence you. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.