If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is SoSoSore!

Options
SoSoSore
SoSoSore Community member Posts: 1 Listener

Hello, I was diagnosed with widespread osteoarthritis in 2011 after prolapsing discs 4 and 5 in 2010. After a diagnosis of needing a knee replacement in 2015 I was told I would have to wait because of my age ! The following year strange symptoms appeared and a blood test showed an abnormality. I was sent to see a rheumatologist who dismissed me totally telling me there was nothing wrong with me and my knee was fine !! I struggled on coping with major falls and increasing pain and extreme fatigue and numbness in my lower limbs. I was sent back to the rheumatologist and have a letter saying there is nothing wrong with me, in medical terms it was all in my head !! Lockdown 2020 was difficult for many. My knee collapsed and I was dragging my leg and depending on sticks to move just short distances. My self employed business failed and the extreme pain and fatigue continued. After having to beg for a face to face consultation with an orthopaedic surgeon I seemed to be fast tracked and had my knee replaced in February 2021. I found that although the recovery went well I was still feeling so unwell. I asked the GP if I could be referred to see someone she refused saying that my knee had been replaced because of the osteoarthritis and that is what I have !!! I then sold my home as I could cope with the size and upkeep. When I moved I paid to see a rheumatologist. A diagnosis of Fibromyalgia. I have seen the GP twice since then. The last time I was getting severe ingestion, a tight chest and tingling pains in my left arm. He moved my arm up and down and just said "it was one of those things !!!" I feel so very let down. I am almost 65, a WASPI woman who suddenly had her pension age raised by 6 years with little notice. I live on my own, its a struggle and I am living off the few savings left. I applied for PIP but had my case dismissed after waiting 6 months and will try to appeal. It is though exhausting to try to cope with the red tape and the extreme pain and fatigue. I cared for my parents who both had health issues and one with vascular demetia and the other with alzheimers at the same time. Not easy.

I am now asking for help and do not know where to go.

SoSoSore

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    welcome @SoSoSore very apt tag name.
    Sorry to hear about all your going through with your doctors, you did mention your blood tests can you remember what was abnormal with it. 
    As Teddybear said have a good look on site, you might get help/advise or distraction.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @SoSoSore - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read you've had so many difficult years with your health, business, etc.
    As far as your PIP claim goes, the first stage of appealing is a Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) where everything will be looked at by another decision maker. This is normally done within one month from the date on your decision letter, tho with good reason you have up to 13 months.

As you may know, PIP is not about any diagnosis, but rather how your disability affects certain activities of daily living &/mobility. Have a look again at the activities/descriptors that are looked at with PIP: 

https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf

Try & give a couple of recent, detailed examples as to the difficulty you face for each applicable descriptor, i.e. when did it happen, where, what exactly happened, did anyone see this, & were there any consequences to attempting/doing an activity, e.g. fatigue?

Say if you can't do an activity 'reliably,' i.e. safely, to an acceptable standard, repeat as often as one would reasonably expect, or if it takes you much longer than someone without a disability. See this mentioned at the end of the link above.

You can use this form: https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/683380/if-you-disagree-with-a-decision-made-by-dwp.PDF   or write a letter

If you do your MR as a letter, ensure you put your name & National Insurance number on each page. Keep a copy, & get a free Certificate of Posting from your Post Office when sending your form or letter off.

Please come back with any questions.

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.