Unsure, confused and can't cope. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Unsure, confused and can't cope.

roof127 Community member Posts: 5 Listener


I have LCWRA and Pip standard daily living, I am currently in supported living for my mental health and I am looking to move into a council property. No one at the council or my support workers have told me what I am entitled to i.e housing benefit and googling it is just exhausting. I am quite terrified, I have certain conditions which means moving into a house of multiple occupation this is not an option for me at all, as being with strangers especially men triggers a lot. 

I have been told on one hand I do not have the housing benefit cap because of my PIP and LCWRA but have been told I do have the cap.

I am 24, the place I am in is paid for by housing benefit, it is not owned by the council as it's a charity run place and all I want to know is if I have the benefit cap and no one, not even my housing officer can give me a straight answer. 

The property I am looking at right now is 70 pound a week, all I want is a straight answer so please may someone help or send me in the right direction before I lose my mind? Thank you for any help! 


  • Alex_Scope
    Alex_Scope Posts: 7,562 Scope online community team
    Hello @roof127 thanks for reaching out with your query. Benefits can be very confusing to navigate so I can understand your confusion and frustration.

    Just so that I'm clear, are you looking for a straight answer to the question, "Am I entitled to housing benefit?" Or do you mean "What benefits am I entitled to?" Once I know which, that will help me find a clear answer for you.

    Turn2Us have a benefits calculator which you might find useful in the meantime, but do say if there's anything else you're unsure of.

    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Adrian_Scope
    Adrian_Scope Testing team Posts: 9,787 Scope online community team
    edited March 2022

    Hello @roof127, how are you getting on? Have you moved yet?

    If it's a council property, your full rent should be covered (unless you have any 'rent free weeks' or spare bedrooms).

    Is your LCWRA with Universal Credit? If so, when you move you'll need to tell them about it and they should award housing element to your claim.

    Community Manager


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.