Hi from Rick_Boston! PIP claim started in October last year — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi from Rick_Boston! PIP claim started in October last year

Options
Rick_Boston
Rick_Boston Community member Posts: 9 Listener
edited April 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
New to the group. Diagnosed with Cerebral Palsy (slight) in 1982 when I was 8, only found out by chance in November 2021.
Not currently working due to disability,.
PIP claim started in October last year and my telephone assessment is this Thursday.
Good to find an online support group.

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sending you a warm welcome from me too @Rick_Boston. Thanks for joining us. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you finding things at the moment? I hope you are well.

I am wishing you the best of luck with your PIP claim and assessment. Please feel free to let us know how you get on. I think we are a supportive and friendly community and I hope you will find the same!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome @Rick_Boston thanks for joining, glad to hear you claim is underway, and wishing you all the best for it! Please do feel free to explore the forum, and join in with any discussions of interest, you can browse topics in the categories page.

If you've got any questions or worries, or need a hand with anything, don't hesitate to get in touch :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Rick_Boston
    Options
    I had my PIP telephone assessment this morning. I think it was ok. I was on the phone for 1 hour and 15 minutes. I went through all my neurological problems from Cerebral Palsy, Dyspraxia and PTSD. 
    They asked which condition causes what symptoms, which I cannot answer as each condition is a part of who I am and has been for a long time (although the social anxiety is mostly caused by PTSD).
    I think my main difficulty is that I have been fighting my disability for so long that I have become used to my physical/ neurological difficulties.
    So it is hard to explain how my life is different to other people's, if that makes sense. 
    But they said that I should hear back within 8 weeks.
  • Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    Options
    Hiya @Rick_Boston,
    Thanks so much for this update -- I have literally just been catching up with your story, so it was perfect timing. I hope that you'll find the community to be supportive. What you said about finding it hard to explain how your life is different to other people's really resonated with me. I think there's a lot to be said for how our brain normalises these things to avoid "making a fuss" or being perceived as a burden, you know? Still, I'm so glad that you're on the right track with claiming PIP and I really hope it makes everything altogether easier for you in the end. In the meantime, we're here to support you.

Social anxiety is never easy, but I like to think that you have achieved something just by posting here! Baby steps :)
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.
  • Rick_Boston
    Options
    Update: I phoned the PIP helpline this morning as it is almost seven weeks since my telephone assessment. The advisor checked my details before placing me on hold while he looked into it.
    He came back and said that the person who processed the claim had made a mistake (he said they hadn't ticked a box) while processing the claim. 
    I said not to worry as mistakes happen, but that the waiting was adding to my anxiety.
    He said to call back later in the week for an update. So I might phone back this week or just wait and see.
    I am hopeful of a positive outcome from this assessment. But I am prepared to go all the way to tribunal if the various stages fail.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Rick_Boston thanks for the update, that is a bit frustrating for you, but well done for staying positive. 

See how you feel later in the week, and remember the community will be here to support you all the way :)

I hope you hear more from the DWP soon.
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Rick_Boston
    Options
    My pip letter arrived today, no points on anything. Summary had no resemblance to the telephone assessment, but I have heard that that is very common.
    Is the appeal via a letter or is there a form to fill in?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,048 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The majority of people claim PIP successfully without any problems. Naturally on any internet forum you'll mostly only hear the bad stories.
    For the MR you should put this in writing stating where and why you think you should have scored those points. Include a couple of real world incidents of exactly what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies. Add information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Rick_Boston
    Options
    My mandatory reconsideration for PIP came back last week with Zero points on everything. I got in touch with a local group that help with benefit tribunals and appeals and they helped me to start the process online the same day. 
    PIP have until 11th July to respond. 
    I am hoping to have this all sorted before the end of August as that is when Social Security Scotland take over disability payments for all Scottish claimants. The existing claimants will transfer from PIP to Adult Disability Payment from this date.
    ADP is apparently more straightforward to claim, but I want to try and avoid the stress of going through the whole application and appeal process a second time.
  • Sue_Alumni
    Sue_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 486 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Rick_Boston
    I'm sorry that your MR was unsuccessful but that absolutely does not mean that your appeal will be.  Its good that you're getting support with the appeal process and let us know how you get on.
    Take care   
    Online Community Adviser

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi there 

I think your tinescale is being a bit optimistic personally 

You need dwp to respond and often they ars lats in doing so then the wait fir the case to be listed which in England is around 11-16 weeks 

Hopefully I am wrong and you get it sorted 
  • Rick_Boston
    Options
    The date of 11th July is the date on the letter that came confirming that the appeal process has started. It is the date that DWP have to send all the data by, not the date of the actual tribunal.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    DWP often fail to meet the deadline for providing papers.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Is there any consequence to them for that?
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,048 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    calcotti said:
    Is there any consequence to them for that?

No. They will extend the deadline but if that's still not met the hearing goes ahead as normal.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Is that the same for the claimant? Do they get deadlines they can just have extended?

And thank you @poppy123456, you're always there with information despite how many silly questions I ask <3
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is that the same for the claimant? 
    There are no deadlines for the claimant once the appeal is submitted.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Rick_Boston
    Options
    Update. My tribunal hearing is 21st October, via video link.
    I had a telephone call with my advisor this morning and we are hopeful of a positive outcome.
    Reading back through the paperwork I noticed that my initial telephone application was 24th September last year. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,492 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Best wishes for the tribunal @Rick_Boston! It's good that both you and your advisor are feeling positive :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Rick_Boston
    Options
    Had my online video tribunal yesterday morning at 10am.  At 2pm yesterday I received a call from my advocate to say that she had received an email from the tribunal advising that was awarded standard rate daily living, no mobility payment though.
    This should be back dated to September last year. My next review is in 2024 apparently. 
    I also had my universal credit work capability assessment call on 11th October. On the 15th October I got word through my universal credit journal that I had been assessed as 'limited capability for work and work related activity ( LCWRA )' and I now receive extra universal credit payments as a result, this was back dated to April this year.
    It has been a long and stressful year so far but things are finally looking up.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.