Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

18 months..

Options
jcxo
jcxo Community member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi, so I am just wondering if anyone’s has a similar experience to mine and can offer any advice.
I applied for PIP in July 2020 filled in and returned the questionnaire the same month. I waited and waited for an assessment which never came. I really find it hard and embarrassing using the phone as I struggle to communicate so I never followed it up. We moved to a different city in November 2021 and to be honest the PIP application had slipped my mind as I’ve had so much going on. January 2022 I received a letter to my new address with an assessment date for February 14th which I’ve just had and received a message saying they have received my report and will be in touch with a decision. I’m not sure how they got my new address and number which they had too. Will my claim if successful be backdated to July 2020? 

Comments

• calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    jcxo said:
    Will my claim if successful be backdated to July 2020? 
    Yes. Even with current delays that is an extraordinarily long time to wait for an assessment.
    jcxo said:
    I’m not sure how they got my new address and number which they had too. 
    Do you claim any other benefits?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jcxo
    Options
    calcotti said:
    jcxo said:
    Will my claim if successful be backdated to July 2020? 
    Yes. Even with current delays that is an extraordinarily long time to wait for an assessment.
    jcxo said:
    I’m not sure how they got my new address and number which they had too. 
    Do you claim any other benefits?
    Thank you for your reply.
    I know, I assume I have just slipped through the net somewhere along the line and they’ve just found my claim again. I had given up on it to be honest.
    I am claiming universal credit with limited capability for work related activity.
  • calcotti
    Options
    jcxo said:
    I am claiming universal credit with limited capability for work related activity.
    So I'm guessing that (surprisingly) they somehow joined your new contact details up from your UC claim.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • jcxo
    Options
    calcotti said:
    jcxo said:
    So I'm guessing that (surprisingly) they somehow joined your new contact details up from your UC claim.
    I’m surprised they finally contacted me after such a long time.
    I have requested my report so hopefully it’ll indicate which way their decision will go. On the phone the advisor did say it is just a recommendation and not the final decision. My assessor said she didn’t think any more information would be necessary and I should hear back before the stated 8 weeks, hopefully she knew that for sure. I’m debating wether to even read the report as it may just add to my anxiety until the actual decision letter arrives.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,508 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Many people do find that reading the report adds to their anxiety, as it's not the final decision @jcxo. It's up to you of course, however :) Best wishes for your outcome! Please do let us know how you get on. 

National Campaigns Officer at Scope, she/her

• jcxo
    Options
    Many people do find that reading the report adds to their anxiety, as it's not the final decision @jcxo. It's up to you of course, however :) Best wishes for your outcome! Please do let us know how you get on. 
    I think I’ll leave reading it unless I need to appeal or anything. Hopefully not. I was hoping it’d be somewhere at the top of the pile due to how long it’s already been but i think that’s me being a bit optimistic (for once) 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Best of luck from me too @jcxo, hopefully you don't need to end up appealing it. Let us know how it goes, fingers crossed it isn't too long.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • jcxo
    Options
    Best of luck from me too @jcxo, hopefully you don't need to end up appealing it. Let us know how it goes, fingers crossed it isn't too long.
    Thank you 😊 I will let you all know how I get on when I get my decision letter 
  • jcxo
    Options
    I received my report this morning and curiosity got the better of me.
    It has been recommended that I receive 11 points for daily living and 10 points for mobility which is roughly what I was expecting. There are a few things that the assessor has said that are not exactly accurate but I will wait until my decision before I decide what’s best to do, maybe I’m best to say nothing if my decision goes in my favour. Although one thing is really playing on my mind, it says the date of my pip questionnaire was 17/06/2021 and it was actually the year before that I applied. Should I again wait for the decision letter or question it on Monday? 
  • calcotti
    Options
    jcxo said:..one thing is really playing on my mind, it says the date of my pip questionnaire was 17/06/2021 and it was actually the year before that I applied. Should I again wait for the decision letter or question it on Monday? 
    Wouldn't worry about it, it's a simple (and understandable) typing error. DWP will have details of your claim history. If for some (unlikely in my opinion) reason the decision is wrong about the date your claim started pick it up then.
  • jcxo
    Options
    calcotti said:
    jcxo said:..one thing is really playing on my mind, it says the date of my pip questionnaire was 17/06/2021 and it was actually the year before that I applied. Should I again wait for the decision letter or question it on Monday? 
    Wouldn't worry about it, it's a simple (and understandable) typing error. DWP will have details of your claim history. If for some (unlikely in my opinion) reason the decision is wrong about the date your claim started pick it up then.
    I am sure they know what they’re doin so I’ll just wait, hopefully not much longer.
    I still have the text message off them from when they received my questionnaire so I know it was definitely 2020.

Is it common for them to go against the assessors reporter? 
    I also assumed they wouldn’t use my previous report but it states they used my assessment from 2016 as evidence when making the recommendation. 

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,998 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They report is part of your evidence and before making a decision they will look at everything you sent as well as the report. They mostly go with the recommendations but it has been know for them to go against it.
    jcxo said:
    calcotti said:

I also assumed they wouldn’t use my previous report but it states they used my assessment from 2016 as evidence when making the recommendation. 

You said you didn't apply until 2020. Or do you currently have an award but reported a change of conditions?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • jcxo
    Options
    They report is part of your evidence and before making a decision they will look at everything you sent as well as the report. They mostly go with the recommendations but it has been know for them to go against it.
    jcxo said:
    calcotti said:

You said you didn't apply until 2020. Or do you currently have an award but reported a change of conditions?
    Ah ok, I’m glad I’ve read the report its actually eased my anxiety a little as I’ve read so many stories of untruthful assessors etc but I’m pleased with 98% of what’s been written. 

I had a claim in 2016 for 2 years and stupidly never reapplied but when my partner had to quit work to support me at home I’ve made a new claim, that was 17/06/2020 i had my assessment finally 14/02/2022 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.