My carer isn't doing her job. I need to get out of where I am. What should I do? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

My carer isn't doing her job. I need to get out of where I am. What should I do?

Options
Gibbzy
Gibbzy Community member Posts: 5 Listener
Hello 

Im needing advice my carer is not doing her job and im basically stuck in my room in my bed 24/7, I sometimes only get 1 cup of tea a dqy and 1 meal a day. Ive literally just gor my mobility car and my driver has said I really need my own place or just to get out of where I am. Please help advice me what to do I havent a clue

Thanks ⁹
Tagged:

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,573 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    Is your carer employed by care agency? or do you employ them yourself? Of it is a family member or friend?
    You also mention needing a place of your own, may i ask where you live, is it with family?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Gibbzy
    Options
    @poppy123456 yes my carer is empolyed by me as I luve with a friend and she is his partner. she gets carwrs allowance and she just sits downstairs and doesnt do much at all. Im still the one doing housework she doesnt.
    My driver says they only really want my money and thay they treat me bad as shouldnt be locked in my room in bed.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,573 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm a little confused here because you said you're in bed 24/7 but then say you're the one doing the housework. How can you do housework if you're in bed.
    You don't employ her because she's claiming Carers allowance which isn't paid for by yourself.
    To claim carers allowance you must be looking after that disabled person for at least 35 hours per week and it doesn't mean "physically doing things for that disabled person" If she doesn't look after you for at least this amount of time then you can report her to DWP/carers allowance. 0800 731 0297
    Regarding finding somewhere else to live you can have a google search for private landlords in your aera. If you need help with the rent then it may not be that easy to find a landlord that accepts you. If you can find one then they could ask for a guarantor.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've sent you an email from community@scope.org.uk about this @gibbzy, so please do keep an eye out for that. We'd like to try and help if we can :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Gibbzy I just wanted to check in with you and see how things are going today? :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Gibbzy
    Options
    hello everyone 

Ive gone council and got told nothing can be done for months about where i live. I sat my carer down and had a chat with her and she is really going for it now, timed it well as having a major flare up where i cant put any pressure on my knee so walking is out the window. But im alive and hopefully things will be on the up soon. 

Thanks everyone
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    You're most welcome @Gibbzy it's so positive to hear that you've been able to chat with your carer, but I am sorry to hear about your flare up. Take care today :)

Please do keep us updated with how you get on, and remember if you feel you need extra support we can offer that, just take a look at the email @Tori_Scope sent yesterday for the details. 
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• Gibbzy
    Options
    Thank you everyone. 
    Being disabled Ive lost literally all my friends and Ive never been one for posting online about problems but it was getting out of hand like 1 drink and meal in 24 hours and literally shoved in my room only coming out to do the washing up or appointments. 
    My flare up is worst its ever been like i cant even get to thd toilet properly so got z bucket in my room atm, and trying to get out the front door yesterday took me like 15 mins but I will beat this. I just have to be strong and push on 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    It's concerning to hear about your situation @Gibbzy you certainly shouldn't be having to put yourself through that day to day. Thank you for explaining, and for letting the team know how you've been getting on via email too.

We'd like to do what we can to support you, so please know there is always support out there. Please keep in touch with social services as much as you can, and don't hesitate to call 999 if you need to. 
    Scope

• Gibbzy
    Options
    Just to let you all know im not being abused or physically harmed. My carer just sits downstairs with her partner and if need anything i ring or text and then wait and wait til they answer ..... thats the problem like this morning i was waiting nearly an hour for help back into bed i waited on the phone to my partner for like 45 mins before i had to just struggle and do it myself .... i got my 1st drink at 11.30 and its nearly 5pm and ive had 3 teas now. 
    So yeah im not in danger but I know my carer is not doing everything she should or could thats all I was asking advice on 

Thanks everyone 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's good that you don't feel as though your carer is actively physically harming you, @Gibbzy, but it doesn't sound as though they're caring for you to an appropriate level. This can be harmful, too. Does that make sense? 

Have things been any better since you spoke to them? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.