Hi to all unable to Sleep — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi to all unable to Sleep

Options
Sparklebright63
Sparklebright63 Scope Member Posts: 182 Courageous
edited February 2022 in Mental health and wellbeing
Hi there.
It is now 307am and I am unable to sleep ive been helping my daughter move house had dinner had a shower got ready for bed and still awake even had sleeping 😴 💤 tablets.
I will be tired in the morning as I have 5 grandchildren to look after.
Any support groups I could Join I just don't understand why I've been like this for 26yrs since I had my last son and its not any better doctors are useless don't actually find out why I cannot sleep ect.

Sparklebright63. :/
Tagged:

Comments

• Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there @Sparklebright63,
    I hope that you're not feeling too exhausted when you see this! I'm sorry that you're having so much trouble sleeping and doctors aren't being very helpful. It sounds like a very frustrating combination, to say the least! When was the last time you had an appointment about it? I won't give any advice here about the sleeping itself because it sounds like you have tried everything, but I would definitely persist with your medical team! There are tests that they can do, but the waiting list will unfortunately be quite long, I would imagine. Still, you deserve answers.

I hope that you have a relaxing day with your grandchildren and there's not too much to do <3
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @Sparklebright63 I'm sorry to hear about the trouble you've been having with sleeping, it must be even more frustrating that your doctors aren't supporting you as you'd need.

I would encourage you to persevere with speaking to your GP as @Danielle_2022 has said, especially if your lack of sleep is affecting your daily life in a way that makes it hard for you to cope.

I know that sometimes you can self refer for CBT or IAPT support too, though services would likely be in high demand.

The mental health charity Mind has a list of useful contacts which can help with sleep problems as well as advice on tips to improve your sleep and possible treatments which I hope is helpful.

If you feel we can help with anything further, please do let us know, and take things step by step today.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • grassbasher
    grassbasher Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Hi. 26 years with no outcome other than pills? You must be absolutely exhausted and having serious issues with day to day everything!! Do you nap during the day?? Has your GP investigated a sleep disorder? If you wake with a dry mouth/throat, morning headaches, anxiety, depression, daytime sleepiness, insomnia and nocturia then I would suggest pushing for a sleep study. Anyone can suffer regardless of age, sex or body type.
    Things that may help you:
    1. Box breathing. 4 sec inhale. Hold 4 sec, Exhale 4 sec. Hold 4 sec. Repeat until you slide into a calm state. This is used to reduce anxiety.
    2. Try a mouth taping product. I use and recommend MyoTape which has given fantastic results in people with insomnia. 
    3. Avoid caffeine after midday, this is because it has a half life of 12 hours......so come midnight cinderella you are going to the ball!! Oh and it also has a quarter life too. You do the maths. Alcohol is also bad so avoid where possible.
    4. Put down your devices at least an hour before bedtime and read a book or listen to some gentle calming music.
    5. Google Matthew Walker and listen to his  Youtube or podcasts. Invaluable advice.
    Hope this helps

• Sparklebright63
    Options
    Hi Grassbasher.

Thankyou for the info I will try it.
    I don't feel Great today lost a Friend of mine to Cancer yesterday
    So I am Upset she had tests and was told all was OK.
    Are there any good bereavement apps around.

Sparklebright63.
  • grassbasher
    grassbasher Community member Posts: 9 Listener
    Options
    Im sorry to hear that, never easy losing a loved one :(
    Sadly I dont know of any such apps. 
    For me personally its just about carrying on, you are still here so enjoy it. Your friend gave you so much and that is what you use to cope with their passing. Celebrate that as I'm sure they would want you to be happy in your life  o:)
  • Sparklebright63
    Options
    Grassbasher,

Thankyou for your Kind Words.

Sparklebright63.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Hi @Sparklebright63 I'm so sorry to hear about your loss, I can't imagine how that feels but please accept my condolences. 

I know that Cruse can offer lots of different types of bereavement support, so do reach out to them if you need to, and look after yourself this week.

We're all here to support you, and provide a listening ear during this difficult time.
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

• Sparklebright63
    Options
    Alex-Scope

Thankyou for your Replys I will try to look after myself at least all my decorating is now done so deserve some Me time.

Thankyou
    Sparklebright63.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Options
    Well done @Sparklebright63 take all the time you need :)
    Scope

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Sparklebright63, have you tried meditation? 
    https://www.lionsroar.com/how-to-meditate/

I hate to admit it but I very often fall asleep whilst meditating 🙂

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Sparklebright63
    Options
    Leecal 

No I have never tried mediation at all, will have a look at the above.

Sparklebright63
  • ProudMumForever
    ProudMumForever Community member Posts: 235 Pioneering
    edited March 2022
    Options
    @Sparklebright63 hiya . Have you tried listening to audio books before you try and sleep ? You can often borrow them from the Library , chose someone with a nice calming voice , if you do this nightly for an hour whilst laid in bed with a dimmly lit light on , it can help relax you and hopefully you will drift off to sleep . Please note , no tv an hour before you get into bed,because this just sets youre mind racing and you want to have a chilled,calm routine.

Im very sorry to hear about the loss of youre friend . 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hypnotherapy may be another avenue to explore.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.