DWP said to apply for UC ESA (sick). — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

DWP said to apply for UC ESA (sick).

Options
jamcka
jamcka Community member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
I have a friend that has finally recieved PIP last year, but his ESA appeals were exhausted. And DWP said to apply for UC ESA (sick). 

My question is , if he does this ( apply for UC sick benefit), will it affect the other benefits is getting like housing benefit, council tax child family credit. My friend has not  worked since 2003.
this means he cannot get the old style income based ESA! anyone has any relevant information?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    If they claim UC then the tax credits will end. Housing benefit will continue for a further 2 weeks and then end. Help with any rent will then be paid in with their UC entitlement.
    Council tax reduction isn't part of UC and will continue with their local Authority. Child benefit will also continue as normal.
    jamcka said:
     his ESA appeals were exhausted.
    What do you mean exactly by this? Did they take a work capability assessment decision all the way to Tribunal but lost?
    Best thing they can do is get a full benefits check from an advice agency near them before claiming UC because once you claim you can't go back to tax credits or housing benefit.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Best thing they can do is get a full benefits check from an advice agency near them before claiming UC because once you claim you can't go back to tax credits or housing benefit.
    Seconded.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @jamcka welcome to the community, I've just moved your discussion over into our Universal Credit category, and edited the title so it's easier for our members to find. 

Have our member's replies been helpful? You can visit AdviceLocal to find nearby agencies as Poppy has mentioned.

Let us know if you're still unsure of anything and we'll do what we can to help.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.