Nurses with disability in UK

Rosaria
Rosaria Community member Posts: 6 Connected
Hi everyone ☺️
This is my first post here.(Sorry in advance if I made any mistakes... please feel free to correct me).
I'm a bit concerned about the best route to apply for a job here in UK. 
I'm Italian, I have 30 years old and I was a pediatric nurse in Italy. In 2019 I discovered to have Multiple Sclerosis and I started a treatment for preventing news relapses.
In the meantime, because of my condition, I asked my employer to adjust my work schedule and so I was relieved from doing night shifts.
Then, few months ago I got married and I moved here in UK. 
At the moment I'm not working but I hope to find a job here because I love it and I would continue to grow in my career.
That's all, this is me... :)

I would love to hear from your experiences, if there are nurses here that are coping with a disability.
Thank you a lot for you time. 

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,611 Championing
    Hello @Rosaria

Thanks for making this post, I hope you are well.

You could use many avenues to apply for a job, such as online sites like Indeed or LinkedIn, or you could go directly to the organisation's website that you're interested in working for and find their jobs section. Have you tried any of these?

I think for any prospective new job, it can be helpful to make the employer aware of the support you may need throughout the interview process and when you get the job. It can seem daunting, but in my experience employers do see it as a positive when people show the initiative to bring up the conversation and work towards a resolution. 

Scope do have some employment services which might be of use to you, you can read about those here.
  • Rosaria
    Rosaria Community member Posts: 6 Connected
    Thank you @Ross_Scope, I truly appreciate your help. I will look into the employment support services, I think can be really useful for me. 

I agree with you about making aware the employer of the support I could need, although could be scaring to tell during the interview process. 

Finger crossed 🙂

• aleem
    aleem Community member Posts: 8 Listener

I would like to know the latest Rosaria?

• Elizabeth100
    Elizabeth100 Community member Posts: 21 Contributor

Hmmm…I'm not so sure about being open about MS (I have it too). Perhaps try different approaches to different interviews and see if it makes a difference. Are you more successful if you mention MS, or if you leave it out of the conversation? It is illegal for you to be refused a job because of an impairment, but that doesn't stop employers refusing you employment…it will simply be phrased another way. Sorry to be so cynical…my job disappeared when I explained I was unwell. Best of luck in any case, take care, Elizabeth