Hi, my name is Howie12323! — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Howie12323!

Options
Howie12323
Howie12323 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello. My name is Howie12323, and I'm a college student, who is considering going to university.

Comments

• Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi there @Howie12323,
    Have you got any ideas what course you might like to study? You can find lots of information about accommodations as a disabled university student within the Education category more broadly, but I'd suggest starting with this brilliant post by @Poppy_ :)
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.
  • Howie12323
    Options
    Hello @Danielle_2022. Thank you for your response.
    I have applied to study Computer Science BSc, and then do a PGCE for studying Information Technology at college.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Howie12323

Welcome to Scope's forum. It is great to see you have joined us. How are you today?

It is good to hear a little about you. I am just wondering though, how are you currently feeling about considering going to university?

We are here for you if you need anything or have any questions!  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Howie12323
    Options
    Hello.
    I feel a bit nervous about it because it's a big step for me, especially if I move out into accommodation cause I've never lived away from home.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Howie12323

Thanks for your response. I completely hear you. Though, if it helps, you absolutely don't have to move into other accommodation to be a valid university student. I have lived at home throughout my university journey. Do what feels most comfortable for you! Do you know what might help you to feel more comfortable with the idea of accommodation?  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Sorry to jump in, but I felt the exact same way. I don’t start university until September but what really helped me prepare for living away from home was my parents going away for a couple of days, so I could figure out how I’d do things for myself, such as cooking, without having them around.
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• L_Volunteer
    Options
    Not at all @poppy123456! Please don't be sorry. Please all feel free to jump in with your own experiences. It is coming together which always helps the most  :)

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Just adding a warm welcome to the community from me @Howie12323 I hope you enjoy exploring the forum :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Danielle_2022
    Danielle_2022 Community member Posts: 266 Pioneering
    Options
    @L_Volunteer,
    I also lived at home throughout my studies. The university offered me accommodation several times, but it just didn’t feel practical for me, on account of my physical care needs. With that said, I do know many people that have handled it successfully. Much of it is very individual and also just takes the right amount of planning.

I think having your parents go away for a few days sounds like a wonderful idea, @Poppy_! How did that go? I think your experiences are very valuable here :)

@Howie12323,
    If you’re feeling particularly anxious about it, please know that you can have a meeting with the disability team at your university and talk it all through. They will also be able to organise support for classes, too, if that feels appropriate. Good luck!
    Community Volunteer Host (she/her) with a passion for writing and making the world a better place for disabled people to exist.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.