University - going into accommodation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

University - going into accommodation

Howie12323
Howie12323 Community member Posts: 9 Listener
Hello. I'm currently considering going to university and I'm considering between 2 universities: Sheffield Hallam University and the University of Lincoln.
I would like to know your experience of living in accommodation as a disabled user (I have Cerebral Palsy) and can you suggest any other funding methods that I could use? You see, I'm looking at getting some cooking aids and other equipment that could help me, but the DSA only provides funding towards educational things that I would need, such as software.
Any answers are greatly appreciated.
Tagged:

Comments

• Poppy_
    Poppy_ Community Volunteer Host Posts: 192 Pioneering
    edited February 2022
    Hi, how are you today? 
    Some universities do offer some disability help, so they may be able to find something for you. I have written a piece on university accommodation and going/ applying for university before, which I think you may find helpful. 
    Poppy_
    Community Volunteer Host with a passion for reading.

• Howie12323
    Thanks for your response @Poppy_. I'm alright today, thank you.
    I have read your posts and honestly, found them very useful.
    Sheffield Hallam is one choice because of the fact that it has a direct train link to the university. However, I'm not sure if I'd be able to attend every single lecture because of the fact that I require more time to get ready. There is an Open Day at Sheffield Hallam this Sunday so I'll ask about the timing of the lectures.
    Lincoln is another choice because everything is in one area, which could be very useful for me. However, one problem with Lincoln is that there is no direct train/bus link to the university, resulting in me spending over an hour on transport (this can be mitigated by taking accommodation). Another problem is that if I were to take accommodation, I keep asking myself, "Will I manage there on my own". I did go to an Open Day at the University of Lincoln and I did manage to see a room that was already adapted (grab rails, chair for the shower, roll in shower, height adjustable kitchen top etc). But it's just that I may need to get extra equipment, such as cooking aids, which is expensive and I also found out that the DSA only provides funding towards educational stuff, such as extra software.
    I mean, I'll ask the university and see what they say.
    Appreciate your response 
  • Poppy_
    edited February 2022
    That sounds good. 
    I suggest making a list of questions, so you don’t forget anything. University open days,usually, also have a dedicated disabled students booth or repsentative, so it may be useful to ask them. Have you also tried getting in contact with an Occupational Therapist, as they may be able to help
    Poppy_

• Howie12323
    Ok, that's a good idea.
    I do actually have contact with Wellbeing Services at the University of Lincoln, so I might send them an email and see what they say. 
    I might also see about going to see another room at another accommodation, which is cheaper than the one I looked at on the Open Day. They do hold Informal Visit Dates so I might go to one with someone from Disability Services, once I get my electric wheelchair sorted out.
  • Poppy_
    That sounds great. It may also be useful to look at private student accommodation too, as they may be able to offer more, in terms of accessibility.
    Poppy_

• Howie12323
    I just remembered that I have an OT that works with me. Do you think that they'd be able to help out with what equipment I'd need?
  • Poppy_
    edited February 2022
    Yes, they could provide you with the equipment, or have alternatives that aren’t as expensive. If you mention what type of cooking equipment you would need, I could offer some alternatives for you, like ready chopped vegetables, so that you don’t need to cut them yourself, or a vegetable chopper, which I, personally, find easier.
    Poppy_

• Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Hi @Howie12323 I'd just like to share an overview of my experience of university accommodation as someone with CP and an electric wheelchair, all the way back in 2010-13 :) I went to Swansea University, which at the time was a single campus university, where everything was all in one place, and not spread over the city.

I'd certainly recommend going to open days in person if you can, to get a feel for the atmosphere, and the terrain. Consider all the practical things like doctors, dentist, shopping etc. If you can, get in touch with any disabled student services then do so, and see if you can arrange a tour of any adapted rooms.

I stayed in halls all 3 years, which meant I had an adapted room, with space for my chair, a wet room which had a seat in the shower and grab rails. I did have to live with freshers every year, which was a little testing at times, and the lifts weren't always working, despite the building being opened a few years before.

The lecture rooms were largely accessible, some required me to park in the corner and walk to my seat, or enter via a ramp which was probably too steep. But all in all it was level access across campus. 

In terms of funding I was able to get grants as well as loans to help with tuition fees as well as 'maintenance' as they put it. At the time my Disabled Student Allowance enabled me to receive equipment including a laptop, book rest, laptop stand, printer, keyboard, trackball mouse, computer chair with arms, foot rest, and practical help, with a notetaker for lectures. 

I also benefited from an in-house system to have personal assistants for cooking, shopping, washing etc., who lived on campus or studied at the uni, and paid them using my own payroll (all sorted via my local authority and Independent Lives)  but I believe the set up for that has changed since.

I think that's everything, but if you've got any other questions or something's not clear, just let me know. I hope that's useful for you, what are you hoping to study? :)

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.