Lwcra, backdated money and debt — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Lwcra, backdated money and debt

Options
Kj2015
Kj2015 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello everybody, I'm new to the group. I was wondering if anyone out there had any information for me please? I've just been awarded lwcra and I am aware that I am owed backdated money. The thing is I owe the dwp for previous tax credit claims, will all my backdated money be taken by them to pay the debt or is there any other way I can getbat least get some of the backdated money back? 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,282 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They can use any backdated money they owe to pay any debt you owe.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Kj2015
    Options
    Thank you poppy, is there anyway I could get some of it back if i spoke to deby management?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    If you mean debt management then yes, you can try but they're not easy to get hold of.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
    Least if the debt is paid moving forward you are in a better position. 
  • Kj2015
    Options
    Thank you. I know it would be better in the long run but I was hoping to be able to use the money to make some adaptations in my home like a shower to make my daily living a bit better. 
  • lb35
    lb35 Community member Posts: 29 Listener
    Options
    same thing happened to me with backdated money the other day it went to rent arrears but tbh it's prob made life a bit easier doing that obviously everyone's circumstances are different 
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Kj2015 said:
    Thank you. I know it would be better in the long run but I was hoping to be able to use the money to make some adaptations in my home like a shower to make my daily living a bit better. 
    There could be some help out there for you.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.