National Insurance Number — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

National Insurance Number

Rob1973 Community member Posts: 1 Listener

My wife is a foreign national that moved to the UK in 2009 from the United States, and cared for me as I have muscular dystrophy.

In December 2018 she was granted Indefinite Leave to Remain (Settlement) which should give full access to benefits.

Unfortunately her health has declined more recently and she is now disabled and housebound.

We've tried applying for benefits for her but she doesn't have a national insurance number.

I've tried contacting HMRC and they say the process needs to be started by the DWP or Jobcentre plus, but both of these say they can't do it either and we need to speak with HMRC.  I've been going round in circles for about 2 years now with no success.

Any ideas what we can do?


  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,011 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    If you are making no progress between the two departments I suggest contacting your MP to see if they can assist.

    I think HMRC are likely to be correct, for most benefits a claim can be made without an NI number and should be treated as a request for an NI number. See DWP guidance

    A2147 The provision of sufficient information or evidence to establish the NINO is a specific requirement for 1. PIP 2. UC 3. ESA 4. JSA

    A2148 There is no entitlement to benefits unless the claim is accompanied by sufficient information or evidence
    1. to confirm the NINO quoted belongs to the claimant and any adult affected by the provisions 
    2. to enable the NINO to be traced where the NINO is unknown
    3. to enable a NINO to be allocated where the claimant or adult does not have a NINO and they apply for one.
    If the claimant does not have a NINO (for example as a person who has recently migrated to the UK), then an application for a NINO will be initiated from within the DWP if entitlement to benefit is established. The claimant should provide sufficient information and evidence to enable a NINO to be traced or allocated.
    See also HMRC guidance
    If you’re applying for benefits or a student loan

    You do not need a National Insurance number to apply for benefits or a student loan. You will receive one if your application for benefits or a student loan is successful.

    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.